Making salami. Second round...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I used FRM 52 and left them at about 85 degrees for 12 hours. Is that why I'm having this issue? I assume they will continue to ferment in the chamber but it will take longer. Correct? The chamber is 60 degrees.

[h1]Bactoferm F-RM-52[/h1]
PLEASE NOTE: Due to freezer storage requirements, this product cannot be shipped outside North America. This product is intended only for use with meat products and is not intended to treat, cure or prevent disease.

Many types of medium-diameter salamis and other dry, fermented sausages, especially those traditionally made in northern Europe, call for a distinct, somewhat sour flavor. This robust flavor is caused by a boost in lactic acid, a reaction that occurs when certain types of bacteria are introduced to the sausage during fermentation.

This freeze-dried culture blends Bactoferm lactobacillus and staphylococcus bacteria for medium to fast acidification and food fermentation. Bactoferm F-RM-52 starter culture causes the meat's pH to drop to under 5.0 in about four days or under 5.4 in two days in a 90°F environment. This is a fast culture containing Lactobacillus sakei and Staphylococcus carnosus strains, targeted for fermentation temperatures of 70-90°F.

Net weight: 25g (per packet)

Usage: 25g for 100kg (220lbs)

Instructions for making 10lb. increments included

Storage: freezer (<2°F)

I used FRM 52 and left them at about 85 degrees for 12 hours. Is that why I'm having this issue? I assume they will continue to ferment in the chamber but it will take longer. Correct? The chamber is 60 degrees.
You need longer fermentation time like 2-3 days.

IMHO: I dont think the fermentation @60* will ferment much more.

Cure #2

This cure, which is sodium nitrate, acts like a time release, slowly breaking down into sodium nitrite, then into nitric oxide. This allows you to dry cure products that take much longer to cure.

Last edited:
I followed the instructions on the recipe which asked for 12 hours. But yes, the FRM 52 calls for a lot more. I will have to wait and see what happens. Thank you for your help. 

So, here is the final product. I took some out today as they seem to be read.They have a hard even consistency. I removed the casing, cut them in half and tasted a sample. Oh boy, the flavor is amazing. I put them in vacuum bags to help redistribute humidity (although they seem to have the same consistency throughout) and also to store them in my regular fridge. I have 4 more in the chamber that will be ready in the next 2 weeks I think. 

Thank you all for your assistance and pieces of advice. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky