Making pork loin hams

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fullborebbq

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Buffalo,NY
Ran across this recipe. Just wondering if the ratios are correct to brine 10 lbs of pork loin.

Brine Recipe

Water...................................1 gallon
Pickling Salt.......................1 cup
Sugar....................................1/4 cup
Prague #1 (Cure)...............1/3 cup
Pickling Spice.....................1 tsp
Cloves...................................1/2 tsp

the search here for Pop's brine leads to dozens of post of people using pops brine. Not the actual recipe itself. Unless I am missing something....

Reactions: capt7383
Haven't seen that recipe before. But the amount of cure seems high. I'm used to 1 Tbs per gallon of water. This recipe is calling for over 5 tbs.

That recipe is fine. It’s based on the %-pickup equation. If you do a 10% injection, the NaNO2 will be about 150ppm.

If you interpret the recipe in terms of the equilibrium equation; yes the Cure#1 levels will seem too high. For loins however, that is not the recommended method, as per the USDA.

1/3 cup! Yikes. That's pretty high.

10 lbs of meat = 4480g
1 gal water = 3732g

1.13 g/lb water/meat = 16.221 g of cure #1
16 grams =~ 1 TBS....
That recipe is fine. It’s based on the %-pickup equation. If you do a 10% injection, the NaNO2 will be about 150ppm.

If you interpret the recipe in terms of the equilibrium equation; yes the Cure#1 levels will seem too high. For loins however, that is not the recommended method, as per the USDA.
Inject 10% the weight of the meat.. That's a mobetta way to go...

just weighed out a loose filled 1/3 cup of Instacure #1 = 2.6 oz.
Well within the 3.84 oz. per gallon max as stated in the Pop's post link above.

e440b8f3_ScannedImage.jpeg

Last edited:
just weighed out a loose filled 1/3 cup of Instacure #1 = 2.6 oz.
Well within the 3.84 oz. per gallon max as stated in the Pop's post link above.

Did you calculate the Ppm nitrite in the meat using 1/3 cup of cure#1 ??
USDA recommends ~120-156 Ppm nitrite...

All of the recipes and instructions in this thread look good by my math (if you take into account the type of cure they are intended for).
Summary below:

fullborebbq fullborebbq (OP) recipe: 1/3cup Cure#1 per 1 gal water
This is for injection curing. A 10% pump yields 145ppm NaNO2

DQ Curing Salt instructions: 4oz/100lb meat.
This if for dry curing and it yields 156ppm NaNO2

DQ Curing Salt instructions: 24lb/100gal water for 10% pump.
This is for injection curing. It yields 175ppm NaNO2

Pops brine (maximum): 3.84 oz Cure#1 per 1 gallon
This is for injection curing. A 10% pump yields 175ppm NaNO2

Pops brine (minimum): 1 tbsp Cure#1 per 1 gal water
This is for equilibrium curing
10 lb of meat will have 125ppm NaNO2
5 lb of meats will have 175ppm NaNO2

fivetricks fivetricks : 16.2g Cure#1 per 1gal water and 10lb meat
This is for equilibrium curing and yields 122ppm NaNO2

Here is the instructions from the instacure#1 container.
Insta Cure™ No. 1 is a simple, easy-to-use cure for any meat that requires cooking, brining, smoking or canning. This includes smoked sausage, poultry, fish, ham, bacon, luncheon meats, corned beef, pâtés and plenty more. Formerly known as Prague Powder No. 1, the Sausage Maker’s blend is a basic cure containing salt, 6.25% sodium nitrite and an anti-caking agent.

Curing meat helps to prevent common food poisoning caused by Clostridium botulinum and other related bacteria. Cured meats are safely preserved and tend to take on more complex, robust flavors and colors. The Sausage Maker recommends using one level teaspoon per five pounds of ground meat. Five pounds Insta Cure 1 will process approximately 2,400 pounds of meat.

For a basic bacon or ham brine (not including additional flavor ingredients), mix:

• 1 gal. water
  • 4 oz. (½ cup) Insta Cure #1
  • 1 lb. 5 oz. (1¾ cup) salt
  • 1½ oz. (2¼ Tbsp.) sugar
Net weight: 5lbs. sodium nitrite cure

4 oz. cure#1 = ~112 grams cure#1... Good for ~ 100#'s of meat.. add in the 8# gallon of water, and that indicates it's enough to cure ~90#'s of meat in the one gallon brine/cure mix...
I would not use Sausage Maker's directions...

Reactions: fullborebbq
Seemed odd at first but once I converted to using weight instead of volume I finally felt comfortable with my curing calcs. Also use metric. That said, pretty hard to beat the results and simplicity of Pops. I use his low salt version. One thing many do not realize is his use of sea salt. Half it for table salt. Once again, another reason weight works better...

Last edited:
Salt additions should be weighed to have consistency between types of salt

Salt Type ..........................................Weight of 1/4 cup (grams)

Morton’s Table Salt..................................... 76.0
Morton Pickling Salt.................................... 74.0
La Baleine Coarse Sea Salt.........................66.8
La Baleine Fine Sea Salt............................ 64.8
Morton’s Kosher Salt.................................. 62.0
Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt..................... 45.2
Maldon Sea Salt......................................... 33.2

I think It is all sinking in..........slowly....... So i guess I need an equalizing brine for the pork loin hams?? 2" thick...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky