Making Ghee

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Made some ghee. Used the Pioneer Womans recipe.
In summary:
  • Place butter in a heavy-bottomed pan.
  • Melt over medium-low heat.
  • When the whey floats to the top, skim it off. Reserve or compost.
  • When the milk fat sinks to the bottom and the butter turns clear, you’ve made clarified butter.
  • When the milk fats brown and become fragrant, you’ve made ghee.
  • Allow to cool slightly and strain through cheesecloth into a very clean jar.
  • Store at room temperature.
Used 5 sticks of salted butter, gave me just under 2 cups. Most the recipes say to use good quality non salted butter.

g.jpg

Starting to foam, skim as much as you can off
g1.jpg

Skimmed off foam
g4.jpg

Here the milk solids are starting to separate. Here would be clarified butter.
g2.jpg

The brown milk solids
g5.jpg

g6.jpg

5 sticks gave me just under 2 cups. It looks burnt but according to her recipe its not.
g7.jpg

g8.jpg

I’ll have to try this. Ghee I’ve read is a very healthy version of butter. I didn’t realize it was that dark. I am a big fan of Ree Drummonds cooking show. She cooks using ingredients that normal humans would use

Reactions: JC in GB
Made some ghee. Used the Pioneer Womans recipe.
In summary:
  • Place butter in a heavy-bottomed pan.
  • Melt over medium-low heat.
  • When the whey floats to the top, skim it off. Reserve or compost.
  • When the milk fat sinks to the bottom and the butter turns clear, you’ve made clarified butter.
  • When the milk fats brown and become fragrant, you’ve made ghee.
  • Allow to cool slightly and strain through cheesecloth into a very clean jar.
  • Store at room temperature.
Used 5 sticks of salted butter, gave me just under 2 cups. Most the recipes say to use good quality non salted butter.

View attachment 457103

Starting to foam, skim as much as you can off
View attachment 457104

Skimmed off foam
View attachment 457106

Here the milk solids are starting to separate. Here would be clarified butter.
View attachment 457105

The brown milk solids
View attachment 457107

View attachment 457108

5 sticks gave me just under 2 cups. It looks burnt but according to her recipe its not.
View attachment 457109

View attachment 457110
Nice !! I love pan frying steaks in a cast iron pan with like a 1/4" deep with ghee. Get it like just to smoke point and letem rip like 2 1/2 mins a side. Whew nothing like it !!
Last time I made a batch I went old school with it and shook 2 pints of heavy cream in a 1/2 gal mason jar till it turned to butter, saved the buttermilk for waffles, then cooked it down just as you show in your pics. I do however prefer it unsalted, I read in several various ghee making pages online that salted butter doesn't make quite as good ghee for some chemically defined reason or another, so when I need it salted like on a bagel or something I just crack some fine sea salt right on top, phenomenal !.
Ghee is remarkable stuff for sure.
If you pour it hot straight into a clean canning jar and seal it, the button will suck down and it will remain shelf stable at room temp indefinitely.. like pretty much forever.
Thumbs up on the ghee !

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky