Making Cutting Boards

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Well now that the snow is gone and some warmer weather is here I have been out in the garage\shop playing with some new toys. I bought a 13 inch planner and a edge router with a cheap table. So I been practising my wood working skills that I learnd way back in high school shops. Thats 51 years ago LOL. Where does the time go?
Anyways I been making some cutting boards and using my new laser engraver on them. I think my last one is a winner.
We have a farmers market just down the road from me every weekend so I might just try and sell some of them if I get good enough. These are all made from old pellets. Get them free just about anywhere, only have to spend some time cutting them apart. Not sure what kind of wood they used but its damn hard wood thats for sure.

My latest is drying over night as it just got a good coating of Premium 100% Pure Food Grade Mineral Oil .
20240423_091751.jpg

And a couple of the first ones.
20240415_151649.jpg
20240419_100815.jpg

Now I like the middle one as it almost has my avatar on it!

Jim
There for a second, I thought I was looking at a guy with a heavy jacket and a ball cap standing holding two frying pans over a fire.....and what the hell is a chicken standing sideways levitating over the fire and UNDER the pans???? Then I read your post.....Oh, cow, pig, chicken......and it is sideways......Duh!!! LOL!!!

There for a second, I thought I was looking at a guy with a heavy jacket and a ball cap standing holding two frying pans over a fire.....and what the hell is a chicken standing sideways levitating over the fire and UNDER the pans???? Then I read your post.....Oh, cow, pig, chicken......and it is sideways......Duh!!! LOL!!!
Thanks for the laugh LOL

Oh hell! Now I cant unsee that! thanks! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

Jim

• Haha
Reactions: KBFlyer
. Not sure what kind of wood they used
First one is oak , the other 2 are southern yellow pine .

If those pallets don't have a stamp that has an H/T in it , that means they are saturated with pesticides . The H/T means heat treated and should not be chemically treated , but you can't be certain of that .

Either way , pallets are a bad choice for cutting boards or anything food related .
Use them to make some signs .

Reactions: Florida Chris
First one is oak , the other 2 are southern yellow pine .

If those pallets don't have a stamp that has an H/T in it , that means they are saturated with pesticides . The H/T means heat treated and should not be chemically treated , but you can't be certain of that .

Either way , pallets are a bad choice for cutting boards or anything food related .
Use them to make some signs .
Locally made here in town and I know they don't add anything to the wood, after plaining if anything was added is gone into chips. Time spent on the board is very little and being treated with oil gives a barrier of anything that might be of concern. I would be more worried about the plastic boards and what they are made from. Just like using PVC for water sausage stuffers. People freak out about it not being food safe. Mine is not food safe and I been using it and still not glowing in the dark. Sometimes we put to much into food safety.
screenshot-www.google.com-2024.04.24-14_22_14.png

Last edited:
Well now that the snow is gone and some warmer weather is here I have been out in the garage\shop playing with some new toys. I bought a 13 inch planner and a edge router with a cheap table. So I been practising my wood working skills that I learnd way back in high school shops. Thats 51 years ago LOL. Where does the time go?
Anyways I been making some cutting boards and using my new laser engraver on them. I think my last one is a winner.
We have a farmers market just down the road from me every weekend so I might just try and sell some of them if I get good enough. These are all made from old pellets. Get them free just about anywhere, only have to spend some time cutting them apart. Not sure what kind of wood they used but its damn hard wood thats for sure.

My latest is drying over night as it just got a good coating of Premium 100% Pure Food Grade Mineral Oil .
View attachment 695172

And a couple of the first ones. View attachment 695173View attachment 695174
Very nice craftsmanship!

Reactions: KBFlyer
It's your story. You can tell it how you want .
To me its like Red Dye 40 food dye. The USA government says it safe but also said Red Dye 40 may have links to aggression and mental disorders like attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD) in children. Independent studies say different and that it causes cancer. It is found in pretty much every sausage in a store and a lot more products.
BGKYSmoker, Nepas from the old Bradley smoker forum once tested his mixed ground meat raw and said people over react and he is still here. LOL
I get your concerns but there is no concern.
screenshot-forum.bradleysmoker.com-2024.04.24-15_44_38.png

Last edited:
Locally made here in town and I know they don't add anything to the wood, after plaining if anything was added is gone into chips. Time spent on the board is very little and being treated with oil gives a barrier of anything that might be of concern. I would be more worried about the plastic boards and what they are made from. Just like using PVC for water sausage stuffers. People freak out about it not being food safe. Mine is not food safe and I been using it and still not glowing in the dark. Sometimes we put to much into food safety.
View attachment 695273

I wouldn't worry about how the pallets were made too much. I'd worry about what was stored, shipped, and possibly leaked on them during their time in use.

It's an issue whether anyone agrees or not .
My view is from that of a responsible maker . Not food safety .
There's a whole moral aspect to making cutting boards .

Reactions: KBFlyer and gmc2003
It's an issue whether anyone agrees or not .
My view is from that of a responsible maker . Not food safety .
There's a whole moral aspect to making cutting boards .
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you. As a forum who promotes food safety first I agree with you. On the flip side no one is going to die from these boards or get sick.

Reactions: chopsaw
You need to etch a beer-pole in that cutting board.
I might resend it throught the planner and redo it but right now I have to many things on the go. This one might end up as a fish cutting board with a spring loaded clamp to hold the fish in one place. The RV has lots of room for something like that. I just need to go and catch some fish lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky