Maiden voyage with the CI pizza pan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JJS

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Hersey, MI
So after having 5-6 pizza stones break over the years I finally found a CI pan to do the trick. It’s a 17” camp fire griddle.

Grill running at 650 pan at 450-475

Ingredients used
Homemade pizza dough
Bacon made here in house
Back bacon made in house
Sauce made in house
Whole milk mozzarella that was in the cow 2 days ago made by a buddy
Store bought pepperoni (haven’t tried making that yet)
Red bell peppers store bought

The pan
70313DA7-CB0E-4A3F-9E4D-3A57F289D5AA.jpeg

50460535-0E70-4990-81E6-CCB34320B41F.jpeg
70520EAD-E106-4B6E-AB0F-6F4830A23AF1.jpeg
CD96FE46-1251-4579-9887-A9B2227A6BD7.jpeg
815ECC26-2D63-4175-A36D-FADDDEC53805.jpeg
AFE5601C-7F51-4258-A4BD-823A662C553F.jpeg
9EEF0552-CB32-46E7-8D0C-D133198E2D1D.jpeg
FACF8C15-2769-43DC-B459-37E51F338566.jpeg

0C04CDE6-FCEE-4774-8D2E-0E105153988F.jpeg

By time I got to the end I had the pan figured out ( kinda like pancakes, the first few are not nearly as good)

Short story long the pan is staying.

Last edited:
Get that thing seasoned up . I have some cookie sheets that I've used for years to do pizza . Nothing sticks to them ( water runs right off ) and they make a perfect crust .
Keep using it . Pizza looks great !

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

It’s like anything new there was a learning curve at first but there will be many more pizzas coming off this little fella.

I was a bit surprised how much fat was in that mozzarella, not complaining, it has an awesome buttery flavor to it.

Now I need to figure out the pepperoni making part and I’ll have it licked

Very nice looking pizza JJ.

Good looking pan. Got a link to it?

Bayou Classic 7488 17" Cast Iron Campfire Griddle
Thank you.

The legs it shows on there screw in to the bottom, I obviously left them off.

The pan is slightly dished (probably to keep the grease off the fire) but that wasn’t a concern for me.

Reactions: forktender
Is that the one made by Bayou Classic? I have a pizza stone but it is very fragile and I always forget to put cornmeal down. I have used my 10” cast iron skillet but it is a little small (on the plus side, no cornmeal needed!). Something like that might be worth a try.

Bayou Classic 7488 17" Cast Iron Campfire Griddle
Thank you.

The legs it shows on there screw in to the bottom, I obviously left them off.

The pan is slightly dished (probably to keep the grease off the fire) but that wasn’t a concern for me.

Should have hit the refresh button before I posted. Thanks for the info.

Is that the one made by Bayou Classic? I have a pizza stone but it is very fragile and I always forget to put cornmeal down. I have used my 10” cast iron skillet but it is a little small (on the plus side, no cornmeal needed!). Something like that might be worth a try.

The problem I had with the stones was I run them at 500 ish degrees and if I didn’t cool them down very slow when I was done they end up in about 8 pieces on the grill.

Now that its been almost a month what do you think about the CI pan? I've been searching for awhile now for a better way to make pizza than in my house oven. Would like to buy a BGE and do it in there but not in the cards right now. My gas grill gets up for 650 or so

I use this from Lodge and have been happy. Heavy and takes up room, but it works:

Now that its been almost a month what do you think about the CI pan? I've been searching for awhile now for a better way to make pizza than in my house oven. Would like to buy a BGE and do it in there but not in the cards right now. My gas grill gets up for 650 or so

I love it, we have used it at least once per week since this post and not sure how I went without it all these years.

If you go this route you won’t be disappointed.

JJ, that's what I call a perfect crust on that pizza. I have a few pizza stones that I use but I want a ci pizza pan. Last year, Ma Dutch asked me what I wanted for my b-day. I told her I wanted a ci pizza pan. She wrapped up the lid to my largest dutch oven. When I opened it, the family started laughing and she told me that if I turned the lid just right, the lifting handle would slip through the grates on the grill. Ya know what? She's right and that lid does turn out some nice pies!

Reactions: chopsaw and JJS
JJ, that's what I call a perfect crust on that pizza. I have a few pizza stones that I use but I want a ci pizza pan. Last year, Ma Dutch asked me what I wanted for my b-day. I told her I wanted a ci pizza pan. She wrapped up the lid to my largest dutch oven. When I opened it, the family started laughing and she told me that if I turned the lid just right, the lifting handle would slip through the grates on the grill. Ya know what? She's right and that lid does turn out some nice pies!

Thank you

It’s funny how many times the women in our lives are correct (don’t tell them I said that)

This one is big enough to move the pizzas around a bit to get the crust just right.

Her answer to that was "your grill is big enough to put another lid in there". I keep having to tell her "That's not the point!"

Her answer to that was "your grill is big enough to put another lid in there". I keep having to tell her "That's not the point!"

Did you say “but hun it’s only $26 and it would make me SUPER HAPPY”?

I thought about mentioning that it costs less than what her nail salon appointments cost, but then I don't want to have to bunk with the dogs . . .

Reactions: JJS
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky