• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Mahogany Shoulder Bacon

travcoman45

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 19, 2008
Smoked up a bunch a mahogany shoulder bacon fer orders taday, Here be a cute little one:

After cure an ready ta smoke.

[/url]

All smoked up an coolin, next we slice.

Last edited:

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
That looks great Tip, I need to get me some netting and smoke some buckboard or CB like that. A couple of eggs and a few slices of that sounds good right now.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Looks great Tip, Its been a long time since I did a shoulder bacon. Your Q-view may have inspired me. Thanks for sharing it.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Jun 1, 2008
Looks great. What cure did you use and how long did you have to cure it. 

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
Hey Tip!

You make some of the best looking smoked shoulders I've ever seen!

How about a link to your process.  I know you've posted bits and pieces of your brine method and smoking.

Todd

travcoman45

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 19, 2008
The cure be one I come up with bein part a what I can remember grandad doin an the rest research.  Lets just say ther be a fair amount a sugar an mollases in there.  It's also a 21 day cure usin cure #1.

With that long of a cure it soaks fer 2 hours in cold water witha change ever 30 minutes ta help keep it from bein salty.  Then a rest over night in the ice box followed up by a nice sloooooow smoke in used ta be cool.  I smoke the bacon at 200° to a internal of 160°. 

I use hickory chips cause bacon should have a nice heavier smokey flavour to it.

Nice thing bout shoulders, ain't much fat on em.  Ya get lots more meat.

I've found with my recipe ya gotta cook it slower then regular bacon other wise it'll burn on ya cause a all the sugar.  But it sure be tastey!

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks great Tip !

Am anxious for the sliced pics---My favorite !

Bear

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
It looks awesome I too wanna see the Qview of it sliced

travcoman45

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 19, 2008
Was outa town all day taday, will slice tammarraw an post up a pic.  I hate Christmas shoppin.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.