Mahogany Shoulder Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

travcoman45

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 19, 2008
A Holler in North Iowa
Smoked up a bunch a mahogany shoulder bacon fer orders taday, Here be a cute little one:

After cure an ready ta smoke.

2679be1b_DSC00677.jpg
e62f6f0e_DSC00678.JPG
[/url]

All smoked up an coolin, next we slice.

Last edited:
That looks great Tip, I need to get me some netting and smoke some buckboard or CB like that. A couple of eggs and a few slices of that sounds good right now.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Looks great Tip, Its been a long time since I did a shoulder bacon. Your Q-view may have inspired me. Thanks for sharing it.

Looks great. What cure did you use and how long did you have to cure it. 

Hey Tip!

You make some of the best looking smoked shoulders I've ever seen!

How about a link to your process.  I know you've posted bits and pieces of your brine method and smoking.

Todd

The cure be one I come up with bein part a what I can remember grandad doin an the rest research.  Lets just say ther be a fair amount a sugar an mollases in there.  It's also a 21 day cure usin cure #1.

With that long of a cure it soaks fer 2 hours in cold water witha change ever 30 minutes ta help keep it from bein salty.  Then a rest over night in the ice box followed up by a nice sloooooow smoke in used ta be cool.  I smoke the bacon at 200° to a internal of 160°. 

I use hickory chips cause bacon should have a nice heavier smokey flavour to it.

Nice thing bout shoulders, ain't much fat on em.  Ya get lots more meat.

I've found with my recipe ya gotta cook it slower then regular bacon other wise it'll burn on ya cause a all the sugar.  But it sure be tastey!

It looks awesome I too wanna see the Qview of it sliced
popcorn.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky