Made another sausage ( donair )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

t-bone tim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2007
N.B. Canada
Hello all ...try this on a bun or maybe even a wrap with diced onions and tomatoes and the sauce or whatever sauce and toppings you want to add !
FOR THE MEAT :

5 lbs lean groundbeef or chuck roast
5 lbs pork butt untrimmed

FOR THE SPICES :

4 tsp sea salt
3 tsp pepper
6 tsp oregano
5 tsp cayenne pepper
4 tsp celery salt
6 tsp garlic powder
4 tsp onion powder
4 tsp papprika
1 cup bread crumbs
3 cups ice water

grind meat threw medium plate....mix all dry ingredients well in a seperate bowl....then mix into meat 1/3 at a time with 1 cup of ice water each time ( 3 times )...stuff into 30 -34 mm hog casings or make yourself a few fatties ??

FOR THE SAUCE :

1/3 cup cold canned milk ( evaporated ) not sweet condensed type
1/3 cup white sugar....beat these both together approx 2 1/2 min with beaters on high....then gradually add while beating 2 tblsp white vinegar

Here's a couple pics of some I made today while smoking a brisket and a couple beer butt yard birds ....
4823629d_vbattach12742.jpg

6a2171cd_vbattach12741.jpg

Wow Tim you're pretty fancy! Not only do you have the tri linking thing down , but you pack the cut up links in foam trays with shrink wrap!

Maybe you could post a how to for the tri linking thing? Any specicifc reason for it? It seems like alot of work just to split the links a few minutes later.

The recipe looks good like it has a nice spicyness to it. It's too much for me though, id have to give half of it away before i could trick my wife into eating it. She likes sasuage but we have had it so much since i started making it myself that she's getting tired of it.

Nogoer...the tri link thing makes linking very quick...maybe next time I do a batch of sausage I will take and post step by step pics...as far as the amounts of the recipe just cut it down in 1/2 or 1/4 for a smaller batch to try....also you can make into patties or a fatty ,for something different and easier....it has a good flavor and is easy to make
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

What is the country of origin for this sausage?

(And don't be wise and say Canada since you made it there unless it really is a Canadian type sausage)

Az....donair meat seems to be a big hit from what I can tell only on the east coast of Canada,specically the four atlantic provinces....this is my own recipe....so yes the country of origin would be Canada...
rolleyes.gif

Ha..you came up with such a fancy old fashioned real sausage name it didnt even occure to me it was of your own design! Definately have to save this recipe for my next try.

Tim

Thats good looking stuff there! That step by step pictoral may be nice for folks to see .................... (like me)
icon_razz.gif

I have talking about firing up the grinder and stuffing some links, but I find my self buying them from the butcher!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky