Made a New Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Connecticut
I created a new recipe tonight that came out really good. Trying to clone a Sicilian Hot sausage one of my Aunts used to make. It came out pretty close but the color wasn't as red as I remember. I think I should have added some paprika or cayenne pepper.

Deejayâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Fresh Sicilian-Style Sausage

10 lbs ground pork butt 60% fat
3 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons fresh black pepper, coarsely ground
4 cloves garlic finely minced
5 teaspoons fennel seed
2 teaspoons anise seed
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons sweet basil
2 tablespoons corn sugar
1 teaspoon citric acid

Note: Use encapsulated Citric Acid and 2 teaspoons Prague Powder #1
if smoking

yo b j debi,

it looks like it tastse good..

with anise in there as you have..
i would cut fennel by 1/3..
with my taste buds--
fennel goes a long way...

maybe 1/2 tea cayenne
or 3/4 tea grong dried jalapeno powder...
im getting a little burnt out on cayenne also..

2 teas paprika--

yours sounds good---
this is just some thoughts...
redface.gif

Larry -

It tasted great but a tad salty. I was thnking when I cooked it, a bit of paprika for color would have been nice it did look light - almost white.

I haven't tried the Jalapino powder yet. I did get some in yesterday though. Not sure how much to use at a time before I injure someone. I like stuff hot! Running nose, drippy eyes, high blood presure hot - but the rest of the house thinks pepperoni is hot enough. Maybe i'll whip up some salsa and add some Jalapino podwer and see how hot it is before I start using it.

Debi
I would think the "heat" factor of your jap powder, would be determined as to how it was made...if it was ground with the seeds...then you should have some heat...I made some myself last weekend, and didn't use the seeds...had a nice flavor..and a mild heat to it...mixed some in with scrambled eggs...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Hmmm Good point Richard. I guess I'll have to try it something first. I really don't know how it's made I bought it from ConYeager.

it's super easy to make, you just cut the jap's in half, seed and remove the ribs (if you want....if you want more heat leave it all in), slap them on a dehydrator until dried up (about a day to day and half) and then pulverise in a coffee grinder into powder....bingo....jap powder!!!!! (just wear gloves while dealing with them raw, otherwise you might do something you regret for hours on end!!!
icon_redface.gif
)

Smoked -

Next time I find fresh Jalapinos I'll have to try that. We don't see them up here often. I found some for SBS but they were $3.99 / lb! I bought about 20 of the little beasties and they cost me $6 and change.

Maybe come summer they will go down some.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky