Mac-n-cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TRKLGND69

Original poster
Dec 10, 2019
Hey everybody. New guy to the forums.
Have been making Jeff's mac-n-cheese for a while now. I have played with the recipe, temp and smoke time but I can't find a way to get it to stay a little creamier. Any suggestions?

A Pic of yours would help everyone idea of creamy is never the same.
Richie

A Pic of yours would help everyone idea of creamy is never the same.
Richie
The only pic I have is of the top to show the beautiful color. No pics of the middle.
I'm not expecting shells and cheese creamy, just something a bit more than what a traditional baked mac-n-cheese looks like. Mine has almost no liquid left whatsoever.
I have cut back on the amount of noodles - I have increased the cheese mixture by 25% - I have decreased smoke time to the point I get just a light golden color. The inside still ends up "not creamy". Maybe I can try 150 degrees for the 1st hour to really give it the smoke then bump it to 250 to get some color? What should the finish temp be?

Not knowing whats in Jeff's recipe using heavy cream or half n half in place of milk will up the creamyness. Even whole milk will be creamier compared to 2% or less.
Another option is to add cream cheese. That too will cream it up.

Not knowing whats in Jeff's recipe using heavy cream or half n half in place of milk will up the creamyness. Even whole milk will be creamier compared to 2% or less.
Cream Cheese I agree it is in my recipe
Richie

The only pic I have is of the top to show the beautiful color. No pics of the middle.
I'm not expecting shells and cheese creamy, just something a bit more than what a traditional baked mac-n-cheese looks like. Mine has almost no liquid left whatsoever.
I have cut back on the amount of noodles - I have increased the cheese mixture by 25% - I have decreased smoke time to the point I get just a light golden color. The inside still ends up "not creamy". Maybe I can try 150 degrees for the 1st hour to really give it the smoke then bump it to 250 to get some color?
This is a link to his recipe.

Perhaps I am just cooking it too long to get the really nice brown top. I'll make another adjustment for this weekend. Thanks everyone.

This is a link to his recipe.

You'll need to add some other cheese to the cheddar to get a more creamy mix. The four cheese mix is fine for topping but wont get you the creamy texture.

Maybe a 50/50 mix of Monterey Jack and Colby Jack. Or Monterey and Gouda. Also adding in a brick of cream cheese will take you a long ways to achieving the creamy texture.

Making a Béchamel is important to getting creamy results and the recipe has you doing that.

Only other suggestion I can make is to reduce the cooking time and run the mac under the broiler to get the top layer crusty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky