lump vs briquettes ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JeffB1961

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
did a little searching here and didn't find a answer , but i'm not beyond overlooking stuff sometimes . seen a lot of comments about lump tasting better because briquettes contain soft woods and stuff to hold their shape effecting taste . last year the better half got me the OJ longhorn combo , it's half gas and half offset smoker . i only used charcoal (1 chimney) to get a bed of hot coals to start feeding splits into and it's done very well ..... when i pay attention . i've been looking at Oklahoma Joes Bronco for a while and i've been asked to do 4 pork butts for the better half's family reunion on the 17th so that gave me the "excuse" i needed to get permission to order it , hahaha . the bronco is supposed to be delivered this wednesday the 7th and yes i'm gonna do a good clean and burn-in/seasoning and at least one cook B4 the reunion (10 lbs of wally world leg quarters) and i have a extra weber grate OTW so i can do 2 butts on top and 2 below the main grate .

anyhow ..... i,e got some western cherry chunks and i was gonna use kingfords cherry briquettes because the bronco isn't a stick burner . but i'm curious about how well lump (cheap and easily available royal oak lump) holds consistent temps since the lumps are very inconsistent in size . will i have wide temp variations ? or ..... is it mostly a non-issue ? WW has 30 lb bags of RO lump for $17 so it's only a few bucks more that 2 16 lb bags of their cheap stuff (BTW , i'm a cheap bass turd) so if i go lump that's what i'll use .
thanks for reading and take care , jeff

Reactions: frosty
I think briquettes may be a little more consistent, having said that, lump is also very consistent so it's up to you!

For a long smoke I always use briquettes , they pack together better & they don’t burn up as quick or as hot. I use lump when I want some hot heat, like a steak or burgers.
Al

I use both myself . I always have a bag of lump on hand . I use it for a fast heat boost , or for short high heat cooks like mentioned above .

Lump charcoal is superior amongst its users because of its purity – it contains no lighter fluids like instant-light briquettes or additives like regular ones.

I tend to use both, and agree with Smokin' Al, who is the authority. Never steered me wrong.

Best of luck on the Bronco, looks like a great unit.

Reactions: JeffB1961
The main problem I've had with lump is the inconsistency of size. I threw out a 1/3 of a bag of Royal Oak not long ago because it was all tiny pieces.
I'm partial to briquettes....

The main problem I've had with lump is the inconsistency of size. I threw out a 1/3 of a bag of Royal Oak not long ago because it was all tiny pieces.
I'm partial to briquettes....

Yep, lots of pieces, but I personally refuse to purchase the ultra premium lump, so I just use it. I heard of a guy that made his own charcoal starters with paraffin and wood shavings, while adding pieces of lump charcoal. Looked like it worked for him.

did a little searching here and didn't find a answer , but i'm not beyond overlooking stuff sometimes . seen a lot of comments about lump tasting better because briquettes contain soft woods and stuff to hold their shape effecting taste . last year the better half got me the OJ longhorn combo , it's half gas and half offset smoker . i only used charcoal (1 chimney) to get a bed of hot coals to start feeding splits into and it's done very well ..... when i pay attention . i've been looking at Oklahoma Joes Bronco for a while and i've been asked to do 4 pork butts for the better half's family reunion on the 17th so that gave me the "excuse" i needed to get permission to order it , hahaha . the bronco is supposed to be delivered this wednesday the 7th and yes i'm gonna do a good clean and burn-in/seasoning and at least one cook B4 the reunion (10 lbs of wally world leg quarters) and i have a extra weber grate OTW so i can do 2 butts on top and 2 below the main grate .

anyhow ..... i,e got some western cherry chunks and i was gonna use kingfords cherry briquettes because the bronco isn't a stick burner . but i'm curious about how well lump (cheap and easily available royal oak lump) holds consistent temps since the lumps are very inconsistent in size . will i have wide temp variations ? or ..... is it mostly a non-issue ? WW has 30 lb bags of RO lump for $17 so it's only a few bucks more that 2 16 lb bags of their cheap stuff (BTW , i'm a cheap bass turd) so if i go lump that's what i'll use .

zoory so late seeing this. I have the OKJJ highland with a basket. I bought tthe 30lb bag because lumps was suggested to me to build a bed before adding wood. I liked the thoughts of less ash, and supposedly better temp control via vents. The first thing i learned is how difficult it is to precise pour out of a 30lb bag. second thing i learned is all the "nice chunks are on top of the bag. after a little burn time to get temp (225-230)I figured I would need more. poured directly from the bag. "whoosh", a shit load of golfball size lumps. I learned that the small pieces compact down in my basket and cant get enough air to burn freely. I could barely get enough fire to get above 219. I took a bit of stirring, which lost more temp each time. finally got nice bed to add apple chunks and hickory mini logs (which are a bitch to find in Ft lauderdale. To finish off the bag I'll proably use the chimney to add further to the bed. I like to add wood slowly because of the nasty smoke i get until the wood ashes over a little. Iwas just getting ready to ask here ifanyone had luck with other lump bags that might not be so small chunks. In the end I got afire and the temp crept towards 270(even with firebox door closed) Look like I've got a learning cure. . sorry so long winded
John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky