lump charcoal.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the fireman

Original poster
May 18, 2013
leonardtown maryland
what kind of charcoal do you guys use. I have standard brickettes available but lump is limited. I can get cowboy blend lump or royal oak. I have used weekend warrior but no longer avaliable.

I havent use lump yet, but when I do it will be royal oak.

Seasoning, sure... you'll hear everything from vegetable oil to corn oil to flaxseed oil and linseed oil.  Wipe down with your oil and crank up the heat for a while and then after that get some smoke going also.  Everyone does something different but i went with 250-300 for a couple of hours and then another hour or so with some smoke.  Personally i used linseed oil even though folks will say not to because it's not food grade etc...but i'm still kicking with no ill effects and it put a coat of armor on my smoker. 

Last edited:
Ok I thank you. Always used everyone else's and cooked there food for them. Be MY first smoker. Did a brisket over the weekend. Turned out awesome with some hickory. Was tuning my brother oky Joe after heat plates

Here in So Cal we have Trader Joes i just tried their hardwood charcoal last weekend and i have to say it is outstanding if you can get it give it a try.

Yea no trader joes doing here. I am in the country side of Maryland..... lol I am buying some hickory from the Amish..... but its green. Opinions on royal oak????

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky