Lump Charcoal - Interesting Find

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
So yesterday I fired up a chimney of Royal Oak lump to cook some steaks. When the charcoal was mostly ready, I dumped the chimney into my Weber and I saw this...
20220710_090746[1].jpg

20220710_090802[1].jpg

20220710_090913[1].jpg

A piece of tongue and groove. While this may not be unusual and something many have seen before, this was my first time seeing anything other than sticks, limbs, or blocks of wood in a bag of lump. This was my second time using Royal Oak and I just found it interesting...

I've seen quite a few posts of weird stuff people have found in bags of lump over the years. I'm pretty sure someone found a hunk of plywood in a bag of Cowboy lump.

Found a piece of what I think is a metal band in my last bag of Royal oak
IMG_20210905_084545.jpg

Probably off the same pallet of tongue and groove you found lol

Reactions: DougE
I will say that is the one advantage of mesquite lump which is common on the west coast. No one is using mesquite wood for building, furniture, flooring, siding, etc.

The only detractor to mesquite lump is the size variation. The bags will contain everything from dust to 8" round trunk cuts.

Reactions: bbqjefff
I'm trying to think of a reason this could accidentally happen and I can't come up with anything.
I don't expect it was an accident. They turned scraps of hardwood flooring into charcoal. As long as there was no finish previously applied, I don't have a huge problem with it as long as it's solid, unfinished wood.

I don't expect it was an accident. They turned scraps of hardwood flooring into charcoal. As long as there was no finish previously applied, I don't have a huge problem with it as long as it's solid, unfinished wood.
My thoughts exactly...

I haven't tried Royal Oak yet but I found all kinds of boards in Cowboy lump, some I couldn't say for sure was hardwood. I found a hinge in the last bag I had.
I since went away from Cowboy lump

That’s extremely common with Royal Oak and Cowboy, plus other brands. They don’t try and hide it. The only brand this far that doesn’t use “house parts” is Jealous Devil.

Okay - I was thinking that piece looks like the lumber on my front porch deck which is likely treated, but you're right. Here is a lump database with ratings if anybody is interested: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

Reactions: rdknb
I have found what appeared to be both construction and furniture scrap in Royal Oak and Cowboy quite a few times. I switched to B&B quite awhile ago and many bags in have never found any.

Reactions: millerbuilds
I have found what appeared to be both construction and furniture scrap in Royal Oak and Cowboy quite a few times. I switched to B&B quite awhile ago and many bags in have never found any.

Yep. Same here, I only use B&B Lump and B&B Briquettes. I find the quality control is much better.

- Jason

Reactions: jcam222
I stopped buying RO lump and briquettes.
Briquettes produced way to much ash and low heat.
Lump is mostly scrap lumber.

I use Frontier lump as it it readily available in Minnesota and Florida. I go through a lot less than using RO products.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky