Lucky Tuesday Baby Backs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
I had a little half rack of baby backs that I coated with Chile's Basic Hog rub and got onto the Weber using the SnS with some hickory chunks today right at noon straight up.
DSCN2234.JPG

Things seemed to be going OK, I did a little spritzing every hour, and all of a sudden about four hours in my fire was almost dead. I took off the lid for about five minutes while things sparked back up, then opened up the vents and started brushing on some SBR every half hour. Having done this so many times now I didn't even utilize the TP-20 to monitor grill temp or IT of the meat. Mr Smarty Pants, I pulled them at 5:30 The ribs seemed to cut perfectly, plated up with some cheesy broccoli rice
DSCN2235.JPG

Thought I'd brush each rib with some SBR just for luck
DSCN2236.JPG

No FOTB, a perfect bite with a nice hickory smoked flavor
DSCN2238.JPG

I ate 'em all and was wishing I had the other half on hand!
DSCN2239.JPG

Seems to be that a big part of the fun in what we like to do is really never being positive as to how things are going to turn out. worst case scenario we just eat our mistakes. I've been smoking pork ribs on a Weber for right about 45 years now, this little rack of baby backs came out as good eatin' as any I've ever had anywhere. Kind of makes me think about that whole Forrest Gump thing, you never know what you are going to get. Thanks for lookin! RAY

Nice cook . Only time I temp the kettles is if I have a brisket on . Like you said , been doing it long enough should have an idea of what's going on .
I like a bite thru rib , and those are perfect .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Great job Ray, These look great!!

Thank you Tag! RAY

Looks great Ray!

Thanks Steve, and thanks for the Like, I appreciate it! RAY

They look real juicy Ray. Nice Job Point for sure Chris

Thanks Chris, the ribs were on point for sure. Thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Beautiful 1/2 rack Sawhorseray. Awesome looking plate.

Thank you Peachey! RAY

Looks great Ray! Your definitely a Ribmaster! Al

Thanks Al, and thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Look delicious Ray

Thanks Jim, and thanks for the Like, much appreciated! RAY

They look good and moist.

That they were, thanks Rob. RAY

Nice cook . Only time I temp the kettles is if I have a brisket on . Like you said , been doing it long enough should have an idea of what's going on . I like a bite thru rib , and those are perfect .

Thanks Rich! The SnS makes it really easy to dial down the temp, ribs on the Weber are a piece of cake now. If I did a brisket it would have to be hot and fast on my offset, I'm too old to stay up for 18 hours tending a fire. Thanks for the Like Rich, I do appreciate it. RAY

Nice job on those ribs. Warren

Thanks you Warren, and thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

I like the bite on those ribs, looks perfect Ray! I’ll take that other 1/2 off your hands.

Thanks Joe! The bite on these ribs was just about perfect, clean with hardly any tug, wish I could do that every time! Thanks for the Like Joe, I do appreciate it. RAY

Ray those ribs look fantastic buddy! I would down those any day! Almost a tease though since you only had a half rack...has you wanting the other half! Nice job.

Thanks John! There won't be anymore half racks, I only did that to make things fit into the freezer. When I finish the baby backs that are in there I'm probably done with those also along with the St Louis cut ribs. I really prefer to smoke whole racks of straight spares, more meat, better price. Thank you for the Like John, I do appreciate it. RAY

Nice Rack Ray! them look tasty.

Thanks Dave, and thank you for the Like, much appreciated! RAY

Looks good to me. But, you need to clean them bones up a little more. :emoji_laughing: Jim

I can only do do what my teeth will let me Jim. About 40 years back some dentist wanted to break my jaw so my teeth would meet right, I decided to pass on that idea. Thank you for the Like Jim, I do appreciate it. RAY

Reactions: JLeonard
Well, well, well, looks like 45 years of practice has paid off. Add to that developing a comfort level with the SnS and you got those ribs pretty well figured out. Nice job my friend. I'm thinking I may have to do some St. Louis ribs this weekend in the same manner....well minus the sauce but same concept :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
Wow, looks really good Ray. I agree when you can bite em like that without them falling off the bone it is the way to go!

Thanks Brett, Myron would have approved! RAY

Well, well, well, looks like 45 years of practice has paid off. Add to that developing a comfort level with the SnS and you got those ribs pretty well figured out. Nice job my friend. I'm thinking I may have to do some St. Louis ribs this weekend in the same manner....well minus the sauce but same concept :emoji_wink: Robert

Why thank you Robert! Sometimes I sauce, sometimes not, same way with spritzing, and I never wrap anything. I just might do some St Louis ribs myself this weekend on my offset, I'm trying to weed those and baby backs from my freezer in a effort to have room for some Italian sausage I want to make. I'm thinking in the future I'm only going to buy spares, they aren't as pretty but I like them more. Thank you for the Like Robert, I do appreciate it. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky