Louisiana Grill Black Label 1000

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Glad2BNico

Original poster
Nov 14, 2022
Hey Everyone,

I'm excited to be a part of this forum and subscribed to the 5 Meat Smoking fundamentals listed in the newbie forum, looks like some great information and I can't wait to implement it!

However, I'm nervous to go experimenting as my pellet smoker is going through a bunch of issues! Last week, I smoked a bacon-wrapped turkey tenderloin. Started low and slow at 215, and ramped it up at the end to crisp up the bacon. The total process was 2ish hours long and my LG Black Label 1000 shut down on its own 3 different times throughout the cooking session. This isn't my first issue with the grill, I'm on my second controller and after I replaced it the first time, I lost my wifi capability. I read in a separate post to make sure that the grill is getting enough power by ensuring the outlet is rated for at least 15 amps, and if I'm using an extension cord, to be sure it's a heavy enough gauge. I think I've hit the "overkill" realm with a 20 amp wall service and a 10Ga. cord. I turned the grill on the other day and it still shut off on me.

The grill is only a year old, and the warranty is supposed to be good for 5 years. If this third controller is faulty or buggy, I'll be bugging LG for more than a replacement controller. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I've got a pork butt in the freezer and a turkey I'm hoping to smoke for thanksgiving, but man, the last thing I want to do is walk out to find a cold grill and cold or frozen meat.

Welcome to SMF!

I don't have any experience with your setup but I would reach out to their customer service again and let them know your troubles and concerns. Hopefully they will make it right for you!

Pit Boss sent a BL 1000 to try out and I had the same issues. They were supposed to send out a new controller but I never saw it. I generally like Pit Boss and Louisiana Grills equipment but I think someone dropped the ball on this one.

I've heard more than one complaint about these shutting down automatically during the cook for no apparent reason and that's exactly what mine did as well.

A shame since it's a really nice looking grill.

I would ask them to replace the entire unit for you and they should do that.. seem to have pretty good customer service.

Reactions: Glad2BNico
is the circuit you are running it on a gfi circuit? if it is, is there another outlet you can use that is not gfi? maybe something in the gfi outlet is weak{they do wear out over time} and is tripping very easy with your gill. after the startup using the hot rod to start the pellets, pellet grills just don't draw that much when running

I appreciate your input Jeff! Yeah, If this controller doesn't work, I'll be pursuing a new unit.

It is plugged into a GFCI, but they're not overly old or worn, and the GFCI isn't tripping.. It's strange to me since you're right, it shouldn't take much juice to run.

Their customer service has been helpful, except for one bad egg I talked to at one point.

Hopefully resolution comes soon!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky