Louisa Grills side box

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingdaddy

Original poster
Feb 17, 2015
Coon Rapids, MN
I have the Louisiana Grills 900 with the smoke box on the side. The side box does not get very hot if I’m cooking at 225 in the main chamber. I was thinking about adding a heating element in the bottom to help out. The side box fills with plenty of smoke so I’m only concerned with adding extra heat. I think getting something like the fire board that has a fan controller could be modified to control the heating element.

Does anyone have and advice or suggestions as to how to accomplish this?
Thank you.

The side box does not get very hot if I’m cooking at 225 in the main chamber. I was thinking about adding a heating element in the bottom to help out. The side box fills with plenty of smoke so I’m only concerned with adding extra heat.

Are you talking about the cold smoke box?

Yes. Although the manual says you can smoke in it, not just for cold smoking.

Right. The idea for these and other similar products is that the side chamber will operate at temps lower than the main chamber. So if you set the main temp as low as it can go, you could cold smoke in the side chamber. If you crank up the grill, then you can hot smoke in the side chamber. If you are trying to achieve the same temp in the main and side chambers, that's going to be tough. You can add an electric element, but getting it to at the same temp as the main chamber is not going to work unless you install an additional temperature control.

Edit: Just reread your original post and saw you ARE thinking about using a temp controller for the element. Let us know how it goes if you try.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky