Lots of cheese in these brats!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oberst

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
St Louis
Had some extra Philly Cheese Steak brat mix left and decided to make brats with pepper jack cheese incorporated, a 5 pound batch. Never made brats before; use the mix to make stix previously. Double ground the venison/pork 50/50 mix with a large plate, twice. Came out looking fine; the white chunks are the cheese. Fairly large sheep casings; 38 maybe. Can't exactly remember. No cure.
Brat 1.jpg

Super cold out so couldn't get these on the grill and decided to pan fry.
Brat 2.jpg

Yup; lots of cheese in these brats; 20 ounces added to 5 pounds. Couldn't get them done as I wanted pan frying whole brat, so sliced up and finished frying as a snack for folks.
Brat 3.jpg

That worked pretty good; nicely browned on each side and sealed cheese in. Served with tooth picks and folks ate them up! Anxious to try a whole one on a bun to see how that compares. We usually grill them and then simmer in beer with onions, but this snack idea works, especially when grappling with a whole brat at happy hours is too messy. Wonder if I should try chopped onions in the mix next time?

Looks great from my computer screen. I really have to get into sausage making. You guys are killing me.
Point for sure.

Chris

Looks good!! How’d they taste? I have the pack from Owens as well I need to make into brats.

Notice his absence guys? He's probably making more killer sausages to make us immediately hungry when we see them.:eek:

Taste very good cut up and fried like above. But still haven’t done any on grill as have been out of town and it’s been extremely cold out. End of week should work out though. They have to be good off the grill but am interested in seeing how they work out on a bun with all that cheese.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky