Lost temp towards end of the smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cdog412

Original poster
Jul 2, 2016
I recently upgraded from a charcoal to a propane smoker. I got the Char-Broil 600 vertical gas smoker. Yes I know it's still a cheaper one, but I'm still new to this.

So here's my issue. Today I was smoking a 9 pound pork butt. I'm holding a steady temp of 235. Got my internal temp to 168. I opened the door to add some apple wood chunks and some more water in the water pan. For the next hour, I could not get the grills temperature over 150 degrees. I tried opening and closing my vents at different times. I turned the flow rate on the grill all the way up and the regulator on the propane tank all the way up. I disconnected the gas and reconnected. All of this and still couldn't get the temp back up over 150. Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance for them help

P.S. I'm fairly new to this so I appreciate the help

When I had to add water before, it didn't take long to heat. I was struggling for over an hour with the temperature in this situation

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky