Los Angeles Smoke-man

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sweetbabysims

Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Hello All!

What a great forum!  I currently have a Masterbuilt propane smokehouse that I've been using for 3 years now.

I've been reading about tips to 'mod' the wood pan using foil for the slats to prevent flareups that I plan to do, but I had another question...

Turkey...

I always smoke 2 turkeys for T-Day.  I normally get pretty good results using a 12 hr brine and normally smoke with Apple and Apricot. However, I've always thought the "crispy skin" I loved so much from oven cooking wasn't possible with "low and slow" smoking. Recently, I've been reading that some on this forum kick the heat up to 300 and get that crispy oven style skin.

Is it this simple?  Increase the heat and shorten the time?  Any tips would be great.  

Thanks so much!

KB

KB

I see this is your first post. When you get a chance will you drop by roll call so we can all give you a proper SMF welcome?

Now to the turkey. It is pretty much that simple. It will take 325-350 to get crispy skin. Poultry does not does not get more tender from the low temps.It will however get a smoker flavor. If you want to stay low for flavor then kick the heat up for crispy skin. Go for it. Remember to post a Qview

Happy smoken.

David

Hi David!

Thanks so much for the info.  

I thought I was in Roll Call section.  So sorry.  I'll jump over there.

Many Thanks!

Welcome to the group KB! You'll find that this is a great place to share ideas on smoking, grilling, etc. There are plenty of folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another. Looking forward to your input, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

David's got you covered on crisp turkey skin...325-350* is a good range for poultry smoking.

Red

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything  ........
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky