Looking to purchase a welder. Need some help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rob989_69

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
Rochester NY
Ok, I'm looking to purchase a welder so I can get started on my build. I'll start by saying that I have absolutely NO experience with welding or welders. I know enough to sound intelligent in a conversation and that's about it.

I would really like to stick with 110v, I know 220 is better but I'd need to run it and I really have no where to run it to nor any use other than the welder.

All of my welding will be done outside. I just don't have the space to have one inside. I know gas sheilding is better but would flux core work well?

I'm looking for a welder big enough to weld 1/4" plate. I don't think I'll ever need to weld anything bigger than that.

Now, price is the big issue. I'd like to spend less than $200. Now obviously I'm talking used. So what I'm really looking for is a few make's/models that will fit my needs so that I can search Craigslist and Ebay.

Also, any thoughts on welder/plasma combos? I've seen a few around here. They're outside what I really want to spend BUT if I can get them both I might consider it.

I know I'll need to get used. My main question was if there are any models I should be looking for. Anything that may fall near that price range used. Or even what specs I may need to look for.

Also, can you explain what you mean by "with no experience you don't need cheap"? Do you mean I shouldn't get a cheap one or That I could go bigger, more advanced?

For $200. and under you can get a 110 flux core welder. Now there is a couple draw backs to the cheaper units. They come with a light duty cycle, IE short weld time before you must let the welder cool. And you will not be able to weld thicker then 1/8 inch steel in a single pass.  Another draw back to the flux core welders is the wire is more expensive.  I have used these units before and they are OK at best. I can turn out a much better bead with a shielded gas unit.  To weld 1/4 inch steel in 1 pass with a 110 flux core welder, the welder will cost around 500. 

Here is my take on buying a used welder. You have to be careful when buying one used as it could have hidden problems, unless you are buying from a dealer. If buying from Joe blow off the street you really need to use the welder to make sure it works correctly. Here is an example of what I am referring to. A friend of mine bought a welder off Craig's list for 300. He couldn't get it to work right, so asked me to look at it, as he knew I could weld. After I got the welder set up correctly, I couldn't run a bead longer then 18 to 24 inches with out it shutting down.  He took it to the dealer here and it would cost him another 800 to get it fixed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky