• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Looking to go from propane to pellet smoker?

ajbass60

Joined Sep 19, 2019
When cooking at 250 to 275, do you still get the smoke flavor. 1 concern is that the Traeger shows smoke mode at 225. I like to smoke at 250 to 275, so my concern would be longer cook times to get the smoke at 225? Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. Or is there a another model I should be looking at?

My 3 smokers I'm looking at 1) Camp Chef Woodwind SG 2) Rec-TEC 3) Traeger Ironwood

Thanks

kruizer

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 7, 2015
Typically, pellet smokers do not smoke well at higher temps. I will smoke at 225 in the earky stages and then turn it up for finish cooking. I have th Camp Chef Woodwind and am very happy with it.

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
One thing to consider about pellet smokers is when cooking at higher temps, they produce less smoke since they use pellets as the fuel source.
But you will still get a decent smoke flavor at the temps you want to use. Some users will add an A-MAZE-N tube smoker to generate extra smoke if needed.
The 3 smokers you are looking at are good smokers.
Though I would personally lean toward the Rec-Tec.

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
I have a pitboss 1000t2, with this one I don't think I would get much smoke at all at 250-275, can't speak for the ones your looking at though, I do get smoke flavor at 180-225 although a little lighter then i'm used to with my mes 30 with amnps. definitely getting a amazing tube for more smoke.

texomakid

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 6, 2017
Pellets are important for flavor. a 100% hickory, Oak, or Mesquite are all heavier smoke flavors. I get smoke flavor on my cooks in those temps but some claim they don't. lower temps = more aroma & taste. I bet any of the 3 cookers you mentioned would be good choices.

schlotz

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 13, 2015
Never an issue here on the MAK, smokes quite nicely at 250-275º but as others mentioned, add the A-MAZE-N tube if you want more.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks