Looking to buy a smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
there is also a lot of buzz going around about the pitmakers and they have some really nice trailers set up with a grill as well. those are vertical reverse flow. there are not without a learning curve from what i have read. you have to creep the temp up to not overshoot it otherwise damn near impossible to bring it down. 

• FIXME: needs styling from "post-user-info"
  •  
Love a stick burner! But also sell propane gas for a living. I do smoking, fish fries, crawdad boils, shrimp boils, chicken, ribs, and anything else that's southern food outdoors!
Then I would highly recommend The Klahr Model 19, all yours for the bargain price of $2599.00

. It can do all of that and more...

900x900px-LL-98dd7763_smokerrr.jpg

900x900px-LL-2a61da55_smoker4.jpg

900x900px-LL-b9fe590c_smoker1.jpg

900x900px-LL-4c5ccedf_smoker2.jpg

My condolences for your loss.

You have a ton of options to choose from.

Pitmaker makes some fine rigs. I haves used one of their vaults. Really enjoyed it and would love to have one some day at home. George and they rest of the crew put a lot of TLC in their builds and they are very creative. However it comes at a cost. For what you have described they may be out of your budget. You can always contact them and see.

Ribwizard has a great one there for you as well, and it is already seasoned for you.

Another option would be to have one built for you by a local welder. You said you work with propane for a living. Maybe try to contact one of the companies you work with and see if they have a bone yard of tanks that can no longer be used for propane and see if you could buy or have one. Use some of the builds on here for inspiration and get your design help as well. Then take it to the local welder and have a custom amazing smoker built. 4k could get you a lot that way......

Got my new smoker ordered today. I've never had a brand new smoker. Give me some tips on seasoning it before adding meat for the first time?

imagejpeg

Wow that looks like a nice one.

No help here for seasoning, sorry.

Smoker looks very simular to one someone bought last year that they had problems with,  very simular,

Ask Daveomark if he remembers the thread,  somebody volentered and helped rework it to get it to cook right. Then later down the road, somebody got a hold of the pics and was doing a scam on creigs list , doing a bogus sell.

Might want to do some research and ask around on this one before you fork out any dough.

Everybody I've talked to says David's smokers work great! You need to check your info before you accuse someone of fraud! Not the same smoker or even close!

I don't think Ribwizard was trying to offend or accuse of any fraud. I think his intention was to give a heads up and show where there was an issue in the past with a smoker that very closely resembles the one you are getting. I can see several similarities and differences in both of them. Yours has a vertical cook chamber over the fire box, where the other one does not. The fire box on the other has 2 air vents on the side and your has one. The back looks to be almost the same. The lid counter balances are different.

So onto the question you asked about seasoning it......

The most important thing I know of is to make sure you burn off the oil residue that is on the inside. I would use this time to see how the temp control is. Get it to a high temp of about 350 and then lower it to your cook temp you like. After that you can do the biscuit test and it will show you hot spots and cold spots. I would run it for at least a few hours playing with the air intake to see how it's temp reacts.after you have played with the temps and done the biscuit test you can rub the inside with some vegetable oil. 

Now if your smoker cant get to 350 or higher easily, you may need to look at the numbers and air flow.

Might want to do some research and ask around on this one before you fork out any dough.

Run from this deal as fast as you can. Even if its not one of the many scams people have pulled with this smoker, its a bad design that does not cook!

Also, check out thread started 8/24/12 "Reverse flow FLOP!!!" by UGA Fan       so you can read about the problems he had with the design
I see no accusations of fraud in any of RW's posts above.

He is advising you to do more research in the interest of saving you money and trouble.

No need to get defensive; if you are satisfied with you choice, good on 'ya.

To season your new smoker, first wash it out with simple green to remove oils left over from manufacturing.

Dry it out then spay the inside of the cook chamber with Pam and fire it up to 350 deg or more.

Then cook and enjoy!

Everybody I've talked to says David's smokers work great! You need to check your info before you accuse someone of fraud! Not the same smoker or even close!
BBH, Afternoon....    The smoker looks awfully close to the same design....  The smoker RW is referring to was a P.O.S.....   Very poor design....  boykjo spent many hours rebuilding it so it would work......   

If you find you have a problem with it, please speak to the folks that told you it worked great, and have them help you mod it......

Your call out of RW was in poor taste..... Folks on this forum try to help others...  If your pictures did not adequately represent what you have, and more closely represent the P.O.S. smoker RW is speaking of, well....... stuff happens...  

We try to make you the best, at anything you request, when you enter the forum.....  

It sounds as though you have a circle of friends, much more knowledgeable than the members here... 

Good luck with your smoker and I do hope we are wrong, based on the pictures you submitted...

Dave

Hey Ribwizzard I didn't mean to start a rukus on here. Sorry if I offended you. Or anybody else on here. I'm sorry if I did. I guess I'll know by next week if it works or not. The smoker builder you are referring to and my builder are hundreds of miles apart and my builder was just kinda hurt that he was thrown into the fire with somebody else.

Hey I don't want to lose any friends over a dang old smoker. I'm here to learn and ask questions. Please forgive me!

Another question? How about the BBQ Gurus on the market? What' the opinion on these supposedly helpers?

Another question? How about the BBQ Gurus on the market? What' the opinion on these supposedly helpers?
 BBH, evening....   All is history......    anyway, the Gurus, like others, works well if you have enough fuel in the firebox for an extended smoke... You need a smoker that breathes well and works well without one....  Guru's and others will not make a poor smoker work well....  they are designed to give you a break from tending the fire....   
beercheer.gif

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky