Looking to buy a Mes 40 2.5 gen

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Omnivore

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade from my Mes 30 to a Mes 40 with a PID. Is there anywhere to still purchase a 2.5 generation Mes 40? Or does anyone know what the model # is for that specific model? From what I've read, that is the best model to go with as far as even heat distribution. I mainly use my smoker for jerky, sticks, summer sausage and salmon so I don't want to have to rotate everything too often throughout the cook if there are significant hot/cool spots (as people have noted in other Mes 40s). Thanks for any insight!

Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade from my Mes 30 to a Mes 40 with a PID. Is there anywhere to still purchase a 2.5 generation Mes 40? Or does anyone know what the model # is for that specific model? From what I've read, that is the best model to go with as far as even heat distribution. I mainly use my smoker for jerky, sticks, summer sausage and salmon so I don't want to have to rotate everything too often throughout the cook if there are significant hot/cool spots (as people have noted in other Mes 40s). Thanks for any insight!

This one (Below) looks pretty good:
The only thing I don't like is both the Heating Element & the top Vent are on the right side, but that's not that big a deal!!

Bear

Reactions: Omnivore
Thanks! I did a lot of reading from your posts which is why I had my mind set on the 2.5 - but I'm assuming they don't make that one anymore. Do you think I should add some sort of heat deflector if I get the one from bass pro? I swear I've seen a MES that had a vent on the top left AND right side which seems like a good idea.

Hi All,

I'd find a used or free one on places like Craigslist.org or if you are a Facebook guy stuff is sold there all the time.

Since you are goin to rewire and use a PID there is no point in paying too much for it since you really are just needing the box and the heating element to be working :)

I hope this info helps!

Reactions: dr k
Thanks! I did a lot of reading from your posts which is why I had my mind set on the 2.5 - but I'm assuming they don't make that one anymore. Do you think I should add some sort of heat deflector if I get the one from bass pro? I swear I've seen a MES that had a vent on the top left AND right side which seems like a good idea.

Like tallbm tallbm said, If you're going to go with a PID, I would go with a cheap used box, but try to make it one with the Heating element on the right, and the top vent on the left.
Or, Yes I did see one with vents on both sides, but that might have been the fancy one with a broiler in the top. I'd also stay away from the Gen #2, which has the stupid slanted drip plate with the little water pan hanging on the left.
I'm not sure they stopped making the #2.5, but they do seem to be few & far between.
I don't know why they would discontinue the best model (#2.5), and keep making the worst one (#2).

Bear

I'd find a used or free one on places like Craigslist.org or if you are a Facebook guy stuff is sold there all the time.

Since you are goin to rewire and use a PID there is no point in paying too much for it since you really are just needing the box and the heating element to be working :)

I hope this info helps!

I did! I Got a free Mes 30 ten minutes away on FB Marketplace a year ago August. Two Mes 30 both for $30 right now available in town. No space for them.

I did! I Got a free Mes 30 ten minutes away on FB Marketplace a year ago August. Two Mes 30 both for $30 right now available in town. No space for them.
Yep that's how me and my relatives have done it. Then I just rewire and PID it up for them and off to the races :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky