Looking to buy a Lang..But witch??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CombatBarbecue

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 7, 2018
Appleton
So I am in the very early stages of attempting to open up a barbecue food truck in Wisconsin. I have been looking at Lang smokers and so far I am impressed. I currently run a Char Broil Offset that is old as hell and probably costing me a lot of money in fuel costs. I would like to get a Lang ASAP but funding isn't quite there yet. So research goes on. So, I was partial to the 84 Deluxe with Char Grill but last night I started getting in my own head and now am thinking I should go with the 60 Deluxe with char grill. Business is business and I am not blind to the fact that this may not work out. So if I went 84 would I be stuck with this enormous grill for no reason?? But if I go the 60 Deluxe and turns out I half way know what I am doing, how screwed will I be if I need to up the amount of meat?? I am more than willing to answer any questions to for this newly discovered, yet amazing group of people, help me figure this out.

I initially want to start with Brisket and Pork (Will be doing direct heat items on the Char griller as well)

I am not as concerned with selling to giant groups of people off the bat as I am that I sell any and all product that I have.

Appreciate any help and suggestions.

Sounds like this is going to be a start up. The quick business answer would be go with the smaller one and let that one pay for the larger one if business demands. You can cook a lot of food on the sixty and more than likely your main meal would probably be lunch. If you cooked with the capacity of an 84 to serve lunch you would have to start serving at breakfast and finish at dinner LOL. Not to mention if you actually utilized the full potential of an 84 you are now talking about more employees to help you cook and manage that amount of meat to be served. I have no problem serving Sixty people from my Lang 36. When it comes time to sell the 60 to upgrade you will have no problem selling it. If you ever need anymore cooking space you can always turn to the weber line of products. Very underestimated product and great smokers to have along with the larger smoker. That would be much more affordable until the 84 or larger is needed. Just my two cents

I’ve never heard anyone say they wish they had a smaller Lang.

That said, Dcecil probably gives the more sound business advice. But I say, if you build it, they will come. Or, if you get a biggun you will certainly utilize it.

Right on. I can dig it.

Not sure my more concerned and diligent better half will agree. Thanks for the input any how. Have a great rest of your day down in the bayou.

You could have a single 60 deluxe on a double wide trailer. Have wood, etc. Storage on the other side. If business grows, add a second 60 deluxe in place of the storage. One way or the other they will sell if all heads south...JJ

Can't go wrong with an 84 they are the workhorse of the Langs.
Nice to have some room to spread out, and sides take up a good bit of room.
That's what I have don't regret it.

Sounds like this is going to be a start up. The quick business answer would be go with the smaller one and let that one pay for the larger one if business demands. You can cook a lot of food on the sixty and more than likely your main meal would probably be lunch. If you cooked with the capacity of an 84 to serve lunch you would have to start serving at breakfast and finish at dinner LOL. Not to mention if you actually utilized the full potential of an 84 you are now talking about more employees to help you cook and manage that amount of meat to be served. I have no problem serving Sixty people from my Lang 36. When it comes time to sell the 60 to upgrade you will have no problem selling it. If you ever need anymore cooking space you can always turn to the weber line of products. Very underestimated product and great smokers to have along with the larger smoker. That would be much more affordable until the 84 or larger is needed. Just my two cents

Yes makes perfect sense. Thank you for your help.

You could have a single 60 deluxe on a double wide trailer. Have wood, etc. Storage on the other side. If business grows, add a second 60 deluxe in place of the storage. One way or the other they will sell if all heads south...JJ

I hadn't even thought of that being an option. Thank you for your reply.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky