Looking into the Camp Chef Woodwind WiFi 24...anybody with experience???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hncreature

Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
Hey Folks! First post here and I'm turning to the experts! I did do a search to see if my questions could be answered but didn't find what I was looking for

Looking into adding another pellet grill to the stable - I'm working with a Pit Boss 700 and I really like it - I ran into an issue last week of wanting to cook multiple items at different temps and times so I want to add another pellet grill for those multiple temp / time cooks to avoid guesstimating with wrong temps and times - I was originally looking into upsizing and getting rid of the PB700 but then ran into the above issue and decided another mid-sized grill would probably make more sense

The Camp Chef Woodwind WiFi 24 looks to be a dandy - I'm drawn to the features...WiFi / PID / Smart Smoke / Ash Cleanout System / the possibility of direct flame grilling

My questions that I can't seem to find answers to after watching many of the YT vids and other places on the interweb are...

1) If I decide that this will be my main cooker...I'm usually cooking for between 2-6 people and primarily just the meats so let's say up to 4 racks of ribs or a pork butt and 2 racks of ribs...is it big enough and if full-ish is the heat pretty even

2) I'm seeing some people are cooking on the mid-level shelves and avoiding the bottom shelf...on my PB I've only cooked on the bottom shelf...so is the bottom shelf too hot for longer cooks?

3) Does the direct flame grilling set up work? Most videos show them turning to the sear box or side kick to finish off the meats - The slider on the PB works great but on the CF does the flame actually reach up to the grate through those small slits or are you hoping for a grease fire to get the flames?

Thanks for sticking to the end and thanks in advance for sharing your experience!

I use the Camp Chef Woodwind WiFi 24 exclusively right now; and can answer some of your questions.
I've had Webers, Weber gas, Pit Barrel Cookers, Kamados, etc. and that Camp Chef is excellent.
I am totally pleased with the Woodwind 24"WiF and can recommend it highly.
I use the bottom shelf exclusively, as I am usually cooking for two people. (My mid level shelves are still sitting unused in the garage). For me that shelf level is the perfect place to cook. I smoke/grill from 200-225 degrees up to 425. The lower shelf is not "too hot" for any cook; and I feel that location is where the grill is designed to work. The heat is very even.
I have never used the direct flame grilling. If I want to grill hotter I add my GrillGrates. At 400 degrees on the Woodwind thermometer my GrillGrates are at 525 degrees. Personally, that is as high as I want my grilling temp; but the Woodwind will go as high as 450-500 degrees without the direct flame and the GrillGrates will add plenty more heat.
Finally, if you are concerned whether that grill is big enough to cook for 6 people I'm sure you know that there is a Woodwind WIFI 36 grill.
GATom

Reactions: hncreature
Thank you very much GA Tom!

Great to hear about the lower shelf...it only makes sense that cooking on the lower is THE way to cook while using the middle shelf for additional food if needed but again some of the vids were using the mid shelves exclusively...ala the Oklahoma Joe where the bottom ran a bit hot

I'm actually looking for another grill in addition to my PB700 in case I have multiple temps and times cooks so I was thinking another mid-size grill in the 700-800sq in range and if I'm going to have two I wanted something with good features being this will be my new #1 grill and mainly for cooking for the two of us and the 1200sq in of the 36 seems just a bit too big

Do the GrillGrates replace your Woodwind grates permanently?

Thanks again GA Tom!

No. I have my GrillGrates sitting on the Woodwind grates; and just take them off when I cook low and slow. So, for grilling hamburgers, steaks etc. I have the GrillGrates in place, and then remove them for brisket, ribs, smoking salmon and other low temp cooks. The GrillGrates I use are designed/measured specifically for the Woodwind WiFi 24 as you can see on the GrillGrates web page.
GATom

From what I have heard, it's all pretty "satisfied" owners.
Just a thought and it may just be rare occasions when using both, but may get a little spendy running 2 pellet grills ? Is an electric an option, used mainly for the longer portion of the cook? With a PID, and tube or tray it's pretty much set it and forget and for a lot less $$$ to operate.
Good luck on whatever you decide !

That is definitely a viable option...something I'll have to research - Thank you Winterrider!

Reactions: Winterrider
I use the Camp Chef Woodwind WiFi 24 exclusively right now; and can answer some of your questions.
I've had Webers, Weber gas, Pit Barrel Cookers, Kamados, etc. and that Camp Chef is excellent.
I am totally pleased with the Woodwind 24"WiF and can recommend it highly.
I use the bottom shelf exclusively, as I am usually cooking for two people. (My mid level shelves are still sitting unused in the garage). For me that shelf level is the perfect place to cook. I smoke/grill from 200-225 degrees up to 425. The lower shelf is not "too hot" for any cook; and I feel that location is where the grill is designed to work. The heat is very even.
I have never used the direct flame grilling. If I want to grill hotter I add my GrillGrates. At 400 degrees on the Woodwind thermometer my GrillGrates are at 525 degrees. Personally, that is as high as I want my grilling temp; but the Woodwind will go as high as 450-500 degrees without the direct flame and the GrillGrates will add plenty more heat.
Finally, if you are concerned whether that grill is big enough to cook for 6 people I'm sure you know that there is a Woodwind WIFI 36 grill.
GATom

i too have a Camp Chef Woodwind but i elected to not get the wifi version. MY camp chef ww has brought up my smoking game significantly. it certainly gets hot enough for burgers and steaks but i also purchased a GrillGun. It has become my finishing tool for many applications. It takes the sear box out of the picture and is much more fun.

I am considering one of these but I am not sure how it will handle a New England winter covered up. I live in a 2 family and it would not fit in the basement unless I took it apart. I just got out of Pit Boss hell (Danson's gave me a RA letter for Walmart after 2 months of not working right) and not sure if I want another pellet grill or go back to a WSM.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky