Looking Into A New Smoker....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well once again your wrong, I do make my own cheese, so don’t assume things you know nothing about! As far as I’m concerned you can cook your meat in your oven with liquid smoke, if that is more convienent for you. You may like it better!
Al
Wrong once again? When was I wrong the first time? I'm confused. The purpose of my post was a simple exercise to explain why one device may offer advantages over another that other users may find valuable. I didn't realize I was talking to the only person alive who has never seen the value in buying premade cheese from the store even one time out of convenience.

Why are people so agro on this forum these days? I remember when it was a much more respectful place to discuss topics.

Gosh, whatever happened to having a good old stick burner, and spending time with it tending the fire & drinking a few beers, or mowing the lawn. I get the set & forget idea I have a WSM/Guru setup that will run all night & never vary more than a degree or two, but for me there is nothing more relaxing than hanging around the Lang & having a few beers with friends while we wait to eat. Of course you have to have some appetizers in there too!
Al
I agree Al I would love to have a stick burner. We (the company that I work for) provide the benefits for the guys at Lang and the are great. A coworker has inlaws that have a Lang model but don't have the time or patience to learn it. I'm hoping to pick it up soon !

I wouldn't mind having a stick burner, a smallish one. But I'm out of storage room. Perhaps one day.

Sorry didn't intend for this to turn into a food fight. I've got a UDS that has done pretty well by me, still works fine, but I don't think it will be too much longer before it burns through. I've got a Weber Genesis Silver B that again, still works, but it's getting a little rough. I guess that I'm trying to kill two birds with one piece of equipment, and the pellet poopers seem to be a pretty good mouse trap. No, they're generally not great grilling per se, but companies like CC have solved that with the sear grills to the side.

I don't have to "babysit" my UDS, but I've got watch it, never mind a stick burner. Those seem to require more attention than want to give them.

Or how 'bout you read my post again w/o the negative tone you decided to add to it for whatever reason and address me with the same level of respect you're demanding when I never accused you of anything. Maybe that's just "how you roll on this forum" huh?
So you don’t perceive your suggesting I read more before I parrot old posts isn’t making assumptions and somewhat offensive?

So you don’t perceive your suggesting I read more before I parrot old posts isn’t making assumptions and somewhat offensive?
If you end the statement at that point... yes. It removes ALL context though which is exactly what's required to put this teenager hissy fit on me as if I started it to try to deflect from what you attempted to start entirely unprovoked.

What I suggested was to "read more recent posts" which is substantially different than your inference that I was suggesting you couldn't read or something. I, too, was convinced by older posts that all raved about the Recteq. $1,000 later I wish I had known more and others are posting similar and more recent experiences.

If you found anything I said as some sort of attack then it's time you looked in the mirror for the source of your problems. There's no cause for the way you came at me regardless of how you attempted to frame it to try to save face.

If you end the statement at that point... yes. It removes ALL context though which is exactly what's required to put this teenager hissy fit on me as if I started it to try to deflect from what you attempted to start entirely unprovoked.

What I suggested was to "read more recent posts" which is substantially different than your inference that I was suggesting you couldn't read or something. I, too, was convinced by older posts that all raved about the Recteq. $1,000 later I wish I had known more and others are posting similar and more recent experiences.

If you found anything I said as some sort of attack then it's time you looked in the mirror for the source of your problems. There's no cause for the way you came at me regardless of how you attempted to frame it to try to save face.
Lol ok

Sorry didn't intend for this to turn into a food fight. I've got a UDS that has done pretty well by me, still works fine, but I don't think it will be too much longer before it burns through. I've got a Weber Genesis Silver B that again, still works, but it's getting a little rough. I guess that I'm trying to kill two birds with one piece of equipment, and the pellet poopers seem to be a pretty good mouse trap. No, they're generally not great grilling per se, but companies like CC have solved that with the sear grills to the side.

I don't have to "babysit" my UDS, but I've got watch it, never mind a stick burner. Those seem to require more attention than want to give them.

You can still get all parts for that Weber. They are super easy to work on and refurbish. You can get any info you need from the helpful guys at the Weber forum. Those grills will last a lifetime. Just look here.

Weber Gas Grills | The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board (tvwbb.com)

I have my Weber and a pellet pooper. It is great having both. They really do serve different purposes and work well together.

Thank you. A good feeling it is not.

There's been quite a few over on the Recteq forum with similar experiences so it's definitely not an isolated incident. The first time it happened & they told me it was a one-off I wanted to believe them. It's clearly an ongoing issue though & one they don't seem to think is a big deal. For me this is tragic since I genuinely felt like I finally found my perfect smoker.

Sadly, the search continues....
Can't you just manually set the temp and roll with it? Why anyone would ever need wifi on a smoker it WAY beyond me. It's a smoker not the International Space Station. If anything get a wireless thermo and use that.
I just don't get why everything has to be easy in today's world.
This is why I think everyone that wants to become a good smoker should start out with an offset or drum smoker.
Have some respect for the craft, learn it love it thee end.

Last edited:
Can't you just manually set the temp and roll with it? Why anyone would ever need wifi on a smoker it WAY beyond me. It's a smoker not the International Space Station. If anything get a wireless thermo and use that.
Have some respect for the craft, learn it love it thee end. This is why I think everyone that wants to become a good smoker should start out with an offset or drum smoker.
Lots of assumptions in this post.

Reactions: 1MoreFord
Have some respect for the craft, learn it love it thee end. This is why I think everyone that wants to become a good smoker should start out with an offset or drum smoker.
But if I paid an extra $200 bucks to have a wifi controller(I did not), it didn't work, and the company wouldn't do anything about it, I would be angry.

Just like I would be angry if I bought a wifi thermo and it didn't work.

You can still get all parts for that Weber. They are super easy to work on and refurbish. You can get any info you need from the helpful guys at the Weber forum. Those grills will last a lifetime. Just look here.

Weber Gas Grills | The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board (tvwbb.com)

I have my Weber and a pellet pooper. It is great having both. They really do serve different purposes and work well together.
You're right. Mine needs a little reinforcing down in the legs and frame, but the cooking chamber is solid as a rock. I bought that grill in 2001 and she's still cooking today, and it has not lived a gentle life. My in-laws are on their 3rd or 4th grill since I met my wife in 2004, and 2 of those grills have been Webers. I guess they just get sick of them and throw them away, the $1,000 price tag on a new Genesis keeps me cooking on this one.

You're right. Mine needs a little reinforcing down in the legs and frame, but the cooking chamber is solid as a rock. I bought that grill in 2001 and she's still cooking today, and it has not lived a gentle life. My in-laws are on their 3rd or 4th grill since I met my wife in 2004, and 2 of those grills have been Webers. I guess they just get sick of them and throw them away, the $1,000 price tag on a new Genesis keeps me cooking on this one.
Those first 2 line describe me........

Well, I love my Rec Tec and have not had the discussed issues. I have cooked with and without the alarms, but mostly without because I watch what is going on closer as the cook nears the end. The smoker is great, zero complaints. If the alarms didnt work right, I would just get an inkbird with an alarm. Honestly I didnt even know it had alarms for the first 6 moths of use - so i guess it depends on what you need and how that prioritizes. Overall - I would fully recommend a Rec Tec. Works great, rock solid temps, the best customer service I have ever experienced anywhere.

But if I paid an extra $200 bucks to have a wifi controller(I did not), it didn't work, and the company wouldn't do anything about it, I would be angry.

Just like I would be angry if I bought a wifi thermo and it didn't work.
Hell who wouldn't be?
I'd post my text messages from R.T. that didn't solve my problem on every thread I could find people pumping their cookers. Just to let others know that it's not all rainbows and unicorns they are selling.
But to be fair to R.T. this is the first I have heard of this problem.

Reactions: ostrichsak
Grilla Grill has added WiFi to their lineup now. I think it is every bit as well made as a Rec Tec, and cheaper. Really like the AT model.
I’ve heard great things about the Grilla Grills online. I don’t know anyone personally that has one. I think they may carry them now at Rural King.

I'm not assuming a damn thing, I'm stating the way I feel about it.
Wrong. You assumed this is my first smoker and I know nothing of the art prior to choosing the smoker I chose for reasons I find important. I don't buy smokers to please you so I'm not sure why everyone has to share your opinion.

We get it, you fell your own trees by hand to create the fuel you use for your smokes of beef you raise and butcher yourself too because nothing in life is more important than doing everything the most difficult way possible, right? Why drive anywhere when you can simply walk across the state and enjoy the weather and all of the time you wasted?

I find it hard to believe that you don't own a single possession that does something better and makes your life more convenient. Why waste time being toxic t someone who made the same decision on a different item? I'll never understand cavemen who look down upon those who appreciate advancement and think it's cool to do so publicly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky