Looking for tips/suggestions using a vertical offset

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_Ski

Original poster
Jun 30, 2021
being polish, I like to make kielbasa. Unfortunately, I've never tried to smoke it because I dont own a smoker that can cook low enough. I recently purchased a vertical offset and it has hooks so I can hang meat. I want to try and smoke kielbasa, but I'm not sure how to run my smoker any lower than 200f (and even 200-224 is a struggle).
So, do any of you use a vertical offset to smoke sausage? I need to keep it somewhere around 150 (ideally 135-145).

My initial thoughts are to start my firebox and just let it all burn down to coal until i have a coal bed and ash. Then prepare on the side a chimney of coals and let them burn down, dump and spread them in the box and try to get my temps. Im pretty sure i'll need some sort of heat shield inside the smoker and maybe place it all the way across from where the fire box is to the opposite wall nearly closing off the bottom quarter and leaving some gaps for air to reach the top.
Any thoughts/tips feedback of any sort would be great. If you're curious what smoker I have, its a cheapo dyna-glo wide body vertical offset.

Ever thought of using a propane burner with a needle valve in line to control flame/temp and then use a pellet tray for smoke?

A couple of more decisions just as important as rigging up your smoker will be:

1. Adding cure to your sausage formulation.

2. What shape of sausage.

Cure #1 will help with color, texture and give you a layer of safety since you may exceed the 4-hour, in the 40° - 140° range. I like hanging rings.

Ever thought of using a propane burner with a needle valve in line to control flame/temp and then use a pellet tray for smoke?
I have seen some modified offsets like this. This is a pretty good suggestion, would definitely let me control the heat. Thanks!

A couple of more decisions just as important as rigging up your smoker will be:

1. Adding cure to your sausage formulation.

2. What shape of sausage.

Cure #1 will help with color, texture and give you a layer of safety since you may exceed the 4-hour, in the 40° - 140° range. I like hanging rings.
right, i typically dont use cure but i have several recipes for making smoked kielbasa specifically which call for prague powder #1

If smoking low and working up to IT of 145-150* cure #1 is absolutely essential. Otherwise make fresh sausage and grill it to final IT. Don’t skip the cure when smoking.
I run a wooden 3x3x7 smokehouse and use a propane burner with a cast iron skillet on top as a heat deflection and put wood chunks in the pan that smoke. Makes some beautiful sausage, ham and bacon.

Reactions: Chris_Ski
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky