Looking for some first-time Smoker-brisket feedback..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanG123

Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
I'm more of a pork-guy - but decided to give my first brisket a try. Gotta admit - I'm not too happy with the results. Any thoughts what to try next time appreciated:

I thought I went pretty straightforward:
basic S/P-OP-GP mix
let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. Then let it come up to room temp while the smoker started.
250F / low smoke (4/10), Indirect heat (no foil except underneath the tip at the very end to keep temps even).
took about 6 hours total. when it got to 165F, turned-over and then let it finish to 195F (never lifted the top otherwise).
Photos attached.

Disapointed that I never really got the good burnt bark.
found the meet "moist", but kinda rubbery (maybe just a less than great cut?). Was I doomed from the start by using Choice not Prime?

I'm thinking next time to:
lower heat to 220F
raise smoke (high- 8/10)
raise the meat off the lower rack - and move to the higher rack
just a bit more "direct' heat (with some vinegar/water spray at 175F or so)
Let it go all the way to 198F then rest

Attachments

• IMG_3313.JPG
    IMG_3313.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3315.JPG
    IMG_3315.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3317.JPG
    IMG_3317.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: JLeonard
Relative to finish temp it’s more about feel after 198F. Often can be 203 or more until it probes like a hot knive in butter and jiggles like jello. Secondly did you rest it prior to slicing and lastly do you make sure to cut both the flat and point against the grain? (they run in opposite directions) The bark really makes me question if it got to 198 even. What thermometer did you use for meat?

You sure this wasn't pre-brined or cured? Last pic you posted looks like pastrami plus the trim job on the brisket fat looks a little like the brined and bagged corned beef briskets. What was the weight on the tag?

Underdone brisket. The vast majority of the briskets I smoke are Select grade, though I have done many Choice.

Two things make for a great brisket. One, smoke it anywhere from 225°F to 350°F. Temp = clock speed. Higher temp = faster cook. Temp doesn't matter, but don't remove it from the heat until the flat, not the point, probes tender. It might happen at 195°F internal temp, but more likely north of 200°F, with a few not getting probe tender 'til 207-210°F.

Then Two, rest that baby wrapped in foil in a 170°F oven for 3-5 hours. 200°F+ meat won't absorb heat in a 170°F oven. It will SLOWLY release heat to the oven until it reaches 170°F equilibrium at the 3-5 hour mark (laws of thermodynamics at work, which the brisket understands without a college degree). Magic happens during that rest.

I don't spray, spritz, or worry about temp swings, unless temps are dropping too low. I get my smoker stabilized at 225-275°, rub the meat, load it straight from the fridge, and leave it alone until well after the stall when I check the temp for the first time. With experience, you'll immediately know how much more time is needed. I've often cranked the chamber temp to north of 350°F to finish the meat.

An overthought brisket will be underdone every time unless you have a microwave brain. Heat - time - patience is the formula for a great brisket.

Relative to finish temp it’s more about feel after 198F. Often can be 203 or more until it probes like a hot knive in butter and jiggles like jello. Secondly did you rest it prior to slicing and lastly do you make sure to cut both the flat and point against the grain? (they run in opposite directions) The bark really makes me question if it got to 198 even. What thermometer did you use for meat?
25 mins rest (tho - i'm learning something much longer in warm oven may be better).
did slice against grain on each cut.
i actually had 2 meat probes and a 3rd handheld (all tested). so, was up over 195... but, clearly needed more.

thanks!

Reactions: tallbm
You sure this wasn't pre-brined or cured? Last pic you posted looks like pastrami plus the trim job on the brisket fat looks a little like the brined and bagged corned beef briskets. What was the weight on the tag?
yeah, i'm thinking that several hours in the fridge was completely wrong... season right before going on the smoke from now on!
thanks.

yeah, i'm thinking that several hours in the fridge was completely wrong... season right before going on the smoke from now on!
thanks.
I've done both. No difference.

Also, don't leave the meat on the counter "to come up to room temp." Once again, thermodynamics and heat transfer. It takes a 13 lb packer an hour to move from 38°F to the 70's in a 250°F smoker. If taken from the fridge and put on the countertop in a 75°F room, it won't move more than a couple degrees. I've tested it. Total waste of time.

Thanks all! Good stuff!!
I'm disappointed - but NOT discouraged............

more to come!!
Hi there and welcome! The guys are steering you correctly.
Your brisket looked like it was just a big flat muscle and not a whole packer (flat and point muscle) but not sure.

In any case:

1. A brisket is done only when it is tender. Never by time or temp. You pulled yours at 195F and it was rubbery (also likely a bit dry). This is the classic sign of an underdone brisket.
    It is underdone because the collagen hasn't fully broken down into juicy goodness which only happens with time at higher internal meat temps.
  2. Use temp to tell you when to check for tenderness. You check for tenderness by stabbing ALL OVER with something like a wooden kabob skewer. It should go in with little to no resistance and if you find a spot that gives resistance well you let the meat raise in Internal Temp (IT) a couple more degrees and test again.
    Pull when tender.
  3. Let the IT of the meat tell you WHEN to start checking for tenderness. I don't really check these days until my lowest temp probe reports 200F, many start at 198F or so.
    The meat probe should aim for the thickest yet center most portion of the FLAT muscle, not the point muscle. It is easy to miss this spot so I use 3 different probes from different angles aiming for this spot and the lowest one is what I go after.
    I stab ALL OVER and often find the spot with resistance is lower temp than the rest of the brisket. How do I know? I move a probe there and sure enough it's still not 200F or higher.
  4. A brisket does not care what temp you smoke it at, as long as you aren't burning it. I do mine at 275F and find mine take about 1hr 5-10min per pound before they may probe tender. So you can save yourself some time and kick up the smoker temp. You can put the fat towards the heat source and that will help keep meat from getting too crusty due to direct heat.
  5. I never wrap a whole packer brisket in my MES. HOWEVER, if I was doing a flat muscle only, I would smoke it unwrapped until 180-190F IT of the meat and then wrap in foil with like 1-2oz of water/broth/beer/or wine. This will ensure it doesnt dry out yet still has gotten a ton of smoke and enough bark.
    I think your brisket lacked color and bark because the 195F temp reading was likely a hotter spot in the brisket than other areas of the brisket which could have been as low as 180F. So you probably had some more hours for it to cook and get that good bark and color you want.
  6. Rest is a big deal to me. I plan my smoke to take 1hr-5-10min per pound + 4 hours at 275F a pound and I never open the smoker unless it's time to check for tenderness. So a 15 pound brisket would take make m play for 20 hours or so. I would have my brisket in the smoker 20 hours before I planned to eat it.
    If it finishes early or with the 4 hours left perfect! I just tightly double wrap in foil, then tightly wrap in 3 bath towels and set on the counter and 4-5 hours later it's still piping hot but rested and I can slice it.
    If it doesn't finish with 4-5 hours left... well you have 4-5 hours left for it to finish before meal time and avoid hungry people having to wait around. You still get a decent amount of time to rest it... usually. So you win!

So those are the big items to help you on your next brisket attempt.
Recap, its done when its tender never by time or temp. Use temp to check for tenderness and do so by stabbing all over to check for tenderness. Understand probe placement and know that it's not easy to nail the spot but the tenderness check will tell you if its ready. Pull when tender.
Plan appropriately for cook and rest.

That's it!

Reactions: DanG123
you are braver than me, have yet to try a brisket!

The vast majority of failed briskets are because the new pitmaster stops the process before it is finished. It's like taking your foot off the accelerator with one lap to go in a 12 hour car race, then complaining that the results were less than desired.

Briskets are not steaks. More time in the heat is better. More time in the smoker and more time resting. They are hard-working muscles filled with tough collagen that must melt to give a tender result. Only heat and time can do that.

An overdone brisket will crumble when sliced, but will still be delicious. If I had a dollar for every time I read, "I smoked it too long. It was dry," I'd have a new truck. In reality, it was not smoked and rested long enough.

Let the brisket finish the race. Your tastebuds will celebrate the victory.

Ray has you sorted perfectly on what to do for a great smoked brisket! It does takes some practice but follow his advice and you'll get there quicker.

Reactions: noboundaries
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky