Looking for my first pellet grill and having trouble deciding between 2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jb1023

Original poster
Apr 30, 2021
I currently, and have for the past 30 yrs, grill on a basic propane grill. I've decided that I want to buy a pellet grill because I really want that smoke. The first grill I saw up close was the Pit Boss Pro 850 at Lowes for $499 and almost bought it on the spot, the csr I was talking to has the Pro 1150 and absolutely loves it, but I talked myself down and decided to do some research. I found a local BBQ store that has a special right now for a GMG Daniel Boone Choice smoker ($499), cover ($60), blanket ($55) and 100 LBS of Lumberjack pellets ($90), a $704 value for $599. Being the Choice model this does not have WiFi, and not sure if I really need it but could upgrade it down the road for $150, the legs don't look all that impressive and the grates are the smaller/lighter stainless. He also has the GMG DB Prime+ for $799, It does not come with any of the extras that the DB sale has. It does have some feature upgrades over the DB but I don't care about the rotisserie option, window or interior light. It does have the WiFi, sturdier looking legs and the heavier/thicker grate. But after adding all those extras from the Choice sale to the Prime+, kind of moves it out of my budget so I'm really leaning towards the DB Choice or the Pit Boss. I'm really leaning towards the GMG because of the reviews I've read/watched and the sale price. The 2 things I am a bit down on the Pit Boss for are the porcelain coated grates and a lot of reviews mention that they don't maintain temp very well.

Am I making a mistake? Should I be saving up for the Prime+ or looking in another direction altogether?

I have 2 friends that have the Green Mountain Choice grills and they love them! I have the baby green mt with the extra rack and blanket and it gets used a fair amount! Its been a good little smoker! If I was making the "choice" I would snag the GM package deal in a heart beat!

Reactions: jb1023
I am partial to my Rec Teq Rt-700, I would look at the RT-590 for a comparison unit. might be a touch more. Rec Teq has the best customer service ever and they maintain constant temp like no bodies business.
Rec Tec's do sound sweet but I think my wife would freak if I told her I wanted to buy a $900 smoker. A more likely scenario is I go with the GMG DB now and then upgrade to a Rec Tec in 3-5 yrs, if I/we truly like the smoker experience.

You have to learn to ignore the Rectec shills around here.

The Pit Boss Pro is a fine smoker and the warranty is five years, but the deal on the GMG is pretty good especially if you need the blanket. I don't think you'll miss having Wi-Fi. The pellet grill is a set it and forget it cooker. You can always get a wireless temp monitor that has Wi-Fi or bluetooth for less than the cost of upgrading the grill.

Reactions: jb1023 and Steff3
A pellet grill is definitely a step away from a gas grill.

A friend of mine that used to be in the business of wood stoves, pellet stoves, and pellet grills says a Green Mountain is his first recommendation when people ask. But, he has been away market for about 3 years and other makers have really stepped up.

I have a Masterbuilt that is a knock off of the Traeger design.
I am not impressed with using it as a grill.
My go to grilling is a Weber kettle.

You have to learn to ignore the Rectec shills around here.

The Pit Boss Pro is a fine smoker and the warranty is five years, but the deal on the GMG is pretty good especially if you need the blanket. I don't think you'll miss having Wi-Fi. The pellet grill is a set it and forget it cooker. You can always get a wireless temp monitor that has Wi-Fi or bluetooth for less than the cost of upgrading the grill.
I live in CO so the blanket would be nice to have in the winter, at least I would assume so.

I live in CO so the blanket would be nice to have in the winter, at least I would assume so.
I would recommend one if you are gonna use the smoker in winter and cool weather. without it you will be a LOT more pellets.

There are a lot of grills in your price range but I would recommend you save up a little more so that you can get a little better grill. I would recommend you get a grill with a PID controller, as it will make you much happier in the long run. All pellet grills basically work the same, an auger drives pellets from the hopper into the firebox to cook. The biggest difference between better grills and the cheaper ones, besides the quality of the materials, is the electronic controller for the auger. A PID type controller gives much more accurate control of your temps during the cook. The PID controller actually reads the internal temp and adjust the auger accordingly. A non PID controller just works of an algorithm, based on the temp selected, to adjust the auger. I think you would be much happier with a PID controlled grill in the long run.

Reactions: Fueling Around
I ended up getting the GMG deal mentioned previously. After setting it up and doing the burn-in we tossed on a few thick New York strips. Did not really take much longer to cook them, although the warm up is of course a bit slower. The flavor was amazing. Can't wait to play with some other cuts and flavors. Using the Lumber Jack competition blend to start.

There are a lot of grills in your price range but I would recommend you save up a little more so that you can get a little better grill. I would recommend you get a grill with a PID controller, as it will make you much happier in the long run. All pellet grills basically work the same, an auger drives pellets from the hopper into the firebox to cook. The biggest difference between better grills and the cheaper ones, besides the quality of the materials, is the electronic controller for the auger. A PID type controller gives much more accurate control of your temps during the cook. The PID controller actually reads the internal temp and adjust the auger accordingly. A non PID controller just works of an algorithm, based on the temp selected, to adjust the auger. I think you would be much happier with a PID controlled grill in the long run.

Hey retfr8flyr, The GMG DB has a PID, it just does not have WiFi. Maybe the older DB's didn't I don't know but the new ones definitely do.

Congrats on the GMG!
I saw an interesting Demo Video by Grilla Grills. Their new ALPHA Controller is WIFI but includes an option to run PID or their Original Program. Their thought process...Some prefer the steady temp control of PID, while others, when precise temp control is not that critical, prefer the Extra Smoke the wider temp swing program gives. Marketing or the Holy Grail of Controllers?...JJ

Austin XL by Pit Boss at Walmart about $450 right now. 1000 square inches of space. Plus 5 year warranty. Just my thoughts. You'll most likely love anything you buy and put to good use!

Reactions: bill1 and jb1023
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky