Looking for info

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jjpiv33

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
Charlotte
Please excuse my ignorance. I have been busy with work post covid and was lucky enough to harvest 2 big does and an 8 point this season in GA. I made some 15# of snack stick mix last night with wild pig and pork fat to clear room in the freezer for the venison. I KNOW there was a wonderful thread on hear best practices for cooking snack sticks.
I stuffed the collagen casings last night and had to put in fridge till today. If someone can link the post I'm looking for..... or share the basic steps for the cook process....i would greatly appreciate it. I looked around the site but I'm not the most computer savvy person.
I know i need to start at low temps and gradually raise by like 10 DEG each hour....

Here is one. Are you smoking them?

Here is one. Are you smoking them?
Yes, Ill be smoking them in my MES40. i can get the temp where it needs to be with little hassle. Thank you C cutplug

Reactions: cutplug
What's everyone's take on ice bath?
some threads say yes, some no...
Its supposed to halt the cooking process, solidify the fat, and shrink the casing right?

What's everyone's take on ice bath?
some threads say yes, some no...
Its supposed to halt the cooking process, solidify the fat, and shrink the casing right?
That's my understanding. I've never done sticks but done my share of sausage in natural, cellulose/plastic, and fibrous casings and that is what the ice bath does. I assume it will work just fine for the sticks too plus they are thin so don't need a bath for long.

Just try not to take your smoker over 170-175F degrees. The MES may swing a little so keep an eye on it's temp with a good wireless thermometer. NEVER trust the MES smoker or meat probes, NEVER EVER! :D

That's my understanding. I've never done sticks but done my share of sausage in natural, cellulose/plastic, and fibrous casings and that is what the ice bath does. I assume it will work just fine for the sticks too plus they are thin so don't need a bath for long.

Just try not to take your smoker over 170-175F degrees. The MES may swing a little so keep an eye on it's temp with a good wireless thermometer. NEVER trust the MES smoker or meat probes, NEVER EVER! :D
Yea, I have my igrill 2 measuring cabinet temp and 2 sticks…

The ice bath halts the cooking process and keeps the casings from wrinkling. It's why it's done with smoked, or any cooked sausages.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky