Looking for a rub recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

low'n'slow

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Great White North
My family often finds my rib/pork rubs too spicy. I'm not a big fan of hot stuff myself, but they keep telling me it feels like their mouths are on fire. It's probably the chili powder or cayenne, even though I don't use much of it.

Does anyone have a recipe for something a little mild/sweet? (In the past, they've enjoyed commercial stuff like John Henry Cherry Rub and Cackalacky Beer-B-Q Flavored Seasoning.)

Very very nice Debi. I think your words are wonderfull....beautifully done as always!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

if it was me i would be trying to come up with my own rub ( and i am going to do just that )
try all the things you know your family will like that has no or not much heat /
onion powder, garlic granules ,paprika. salt & pepper , sugar , cummin , mustard , even curry powder may work ,sage is good with poultry .rosemary ,thyme,maybe a stock cube crumbled up.
may take a few goes to get some thing nice then you just fine tune it each time untill its spot on .
then you have your own special blend and a lot more satisfaction.
i rekon i will be trying my own . start out trying small lots just on a steak on the grill rather than a big lump of meat just untill i get the flavour close to what i'm after .
maybe i'm crazy when there are so many rubs out there , but thats what i am going to do . thats basicaly what i do when i make a cassarole just keep tasting and adding untill i get the flavour i want, heaps more fun cooking that way.
only trouble is i never write down what i did or added , so next time i do the whole routine again , sort of like an artist no 2 works ever come out identical.

Thanks Theresa
I got your Apple BBQ Sauce there!

back to the rub ....

Low n Slow -

If you know what flavors your family likes start there. Use spices you use every day like garlic, onion, cajun spice?, Paprika isn't always hot but it's pretty, I like Ruby Red or Los Alamos for the nice taste and pretty color.

I kind of like a tomatoe flavor so I even add tomatoe podwer and it makes it's own sauce as it cooks. Sometimes I just get tireds of chilli powder so I don't use it that much any more.

Have fun with it .. so slow add little bits at a time. You can start by just sprinkling spice on the meat - anything goes if it pleases the family!
wink.gif

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'll do some more experimenting - and maybe pick up some more of the commercial stuff (since it's a proven hit with the taste buds).

People, I think there needs to be a standard established as to spicyness.

I have some friends who can't stand bell peppers because they are too hot. To me, bell peppers are just another vegetable.

I haven't come across any paprika that is even mildly interesting.

All chili powders are not created equal.

If you keep trying your making your own rub, taste test each ingredient with the intended 'victims' and test each end product. As suggested earlier, document your experiments which is very important.

Keuh.......I agree. But so far as paprika. I have found some smoked paprika here in the Phila. Italian market that I would be willing to send you a sample if you like. I love it in my venison goulash. Get back to me.

I have read that bell peppers are the only chili variety without heat ... so I find it odd someone would find them hot?

From a European Deli, I found a Paprika you may like ... it is called "Pride of Szeged - Hungarian Hot Paprika" ... the also have a sweet variety. It is much better than the Spanish variety.

I also use chipotle morita powder instead of Chili powder as it has a wonderful smoky taste and is somewhat hotter. Used this on one of my rib racks on Monday ... was good!

Everything but bell peppers have a rating ... the most notable is the Scoville scale. Below is a good cross section on various chilies
icon_redface.gif

15,000,000–16,000,000 Pure capsaicin[4]
9,100,000 Nordihydrocapsaicin
2,000,000–5,300,000 Standard US Grade pepper spray [5]
855,000–1,041,427 Naga Jolokia [6][7][8][9]
876,000–970,000 Dorset Naga [10][5]
350,000–577,000 Red Savina™ Habanero[11]
100,000–350,000 Habanero Chile [12]
100,000–350,000 Scotch Bonnet [12]
100,000–200,000 Jamaican Hot Pepper [5]
50,000–100,000 Thai Pepper, Malagueta Pepper, Chiltepin Pepper
30,000–50,000 Cayenne Pepper, AjÃ* pepper [12], Tabasco pepper
10,000–23,000 Serrano Pepper
7,000–8,000 Tabasco Sauce (Habanero)[13]
5,000–10,000 Wax Pepper
2,500–8,000 Jalapeño Pepper
2,500–5,000 Tabasco Sauce (Tabasco pepper) [13]
1,500–2,500 Rocotillo Pepper
1,000–1,500 Poblano Pepper
600–800 Tabasco Sauce (Green Pepper) [13]
500–1000 Anaheim pepper
100–500 Pimento [5], Pepperoncini
0 No heat, Bell pepper [5]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky