Looking for a new lump charcoal.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hooked on smoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Southern California.
Greetings,
Having the best wife in the world that gifted me a new Masterbuilt GF 800 for Christmas, I now would like to find a decent lump charcoal.
I've tried B&B Logs, B&B lump as well as Masterbuilt Lump. I got a chemical smell from the logs, the other two were okay but I'm not sure which way to go.
What do you all prefer?

Reactions: bauchjw
Surprised you had a problem with B&B charcoal. Was it lump or briquettes?
Royal oak is another brand for lump. I prefer B&B but RO gets me buy just fine.

Jealous Devil is My go-to. I’m a bit of a hoarder with it. Found it on clearance and I bought the whole pallet.

E68D7DB1-C74C-436A-8C3B-0037E9A3E0DC.jpeg

I get better burn times with the B&B Char logs in the 1050 but have been using RO lately since the the DG down the road keeps it in stock. I get a bag of the char logs from the local Ace about once a month.

Keith

I haven't tried any of the logs, but the name makes me think glamorized briquettes.
I stopped using all briquettes over a year ago due to low heat and excessive ash.
Royal Oak lump is a joke. Small pieces and many of the larger pieces are kiln dried scraps.

Discovered Frontier lump and that is my go to brand.
My only complaint is having to break down large chunks to use in my kettles.

Using lump does require modified grates to stop the hot pieces from falling to the ash bin.
I modified my 22" kettle grate to stop the drop and will do the same to my 18" when I get home.

I realize the request was for lump but just as a reminder for those of you who loved Stubb's briquettes. They have been rebranded. They are only char with a starch binder. No bad additives and relatively low ash.
COWBOY® ALL NATURAL RANGE STYLE HARDWOOD BRIQUETS

Surprised you had a problem with B&B charcoal. Was it lump or briquettes?
Royal oak is another brand for lump. I prefer B&B but RO gets me buy just fine.
I've tried a bag of the B&B logs and a bag of the B&B lump. I preferred the logs for the longer burn times but like I said it smelled chemically. Meet just me.
The lump was good. Not full of tiny bits like the Royal Oak lump used in the past in my Akorn.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky