Looking for a good Little Smokie recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
I have some sheep casing 18-22mm and ask if anyone wants to share their recipe for making little smokies, you know the small short links like you would put in pigs-n-a-blanket. Looking for a 10-15 lb recipe that would be fully smoked/cooked. Wanting to try something new other than the recipes I already use. Thanks in advance.

HT

Reactions: Sue zomar
They are just a tiny Hot Dog or Smoked Country Sausage, not as emulsified. Len Poli has a Cocktail Sausage recipe that sounds good. For some reason a Google search for Little Smokies or Cocktail Sausage gives me a hundred ways to prepare store bought Little Smokies, but no actual sausage recipe...JJ

They are just a tiny Hot Dog or Smoked Country Sausage, not as emulsified. Len Poli has a Cocktail Sausage recipe that sounds good. For some reason a Google search for Little Smokies or Cocktail Sausage gives me a hundred ways to prepare store bought Little Smokies, but no actual sausage recipe...JJ

Thanks I will check it out Jimmy..

HT

I found it and will make that on the next run. Looks pretty good.

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I'm going with it,first time. I hope I didn't bud in if I did I'm sorry.

You're welcome Sue, but that one wasn't mine.
It was just something I found for HT.
But you can use anything that is mine.
Most of them are found at the Link below:
Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".
All Kinds To Choose From.

Bear

After you make them, put in a crock pot with grape jelly. It is awesome!! No Joke! Try it!

Grape Jelly and Heinz Chili Sauce, 1/2 & 1/2.
As a young Chef I was asked to make a batch. I thought my boss was nuts! I made them and was amazed. Nice balance of Sweet and Sour. Works with small frozen Meatballs for a quick party Appetizer...JJ

Grape Jelly and Heinz Chili Sauce, 1/2 & 1/2.
As a young Chef I was asked to make a batch. I thought my boss was nuts! I made them and was amazed. Nice balance of Sweet and Sour. Works with small frozen Meatballs for a quick party Appetizer...JJ
Nanna has used the grape jelly for years. I will tell her about the Chile Sauce. She does the meatballs with grape jelly as well. Always a favorite at parties and such. None ever left over. LOL!

I made a batch of smokies a couple of months ago. And I did find the recipe here on SMF from another member in a post called "riverbank smokies". https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/river-bank-smokies.277688/. Sorry I didn't make a post, but I will post the recipe below. While they were good, they weren't what I was expecting. What I gleaned is this "Canadian" version has a very sweet and distinct Mace/nutmeg flavor, and I didn't care for the texture with the soy protein concentrate and eggs for the binder (I prefer NFDM). When I make them again, I will likely start with a polish sausage.

Use 10 lbs of meat - any combination
Grind meat in 3/16 grinder plate once

Mix up - 2 C Soya Protein Concentrate

1 T Ground White Pepper

1 T Mace

1 t Ground Ginger

1 T Ground Nutmeg

5 T Salt

2 t Insta Cure ( Pink Salt )

Blend in - 3 C Whole Milk - Ice Cold

3 Large Eggs

Mix in seasoning and let stand in fridge for 24 hours or overnight

If you want cheese smokies - add 1 lb of your favorite cheese.

Stuff in your favorite casing - I use a #29

Bring internal temp to 152 then take out and spray with ice cold water until it reaches 100. Then let hang at room temp for one hour or so to let it bloom.

Bear
Thanks again my pepper,maple bacon sausage is incredible. I only make the pan and sliced like bacon. Will be making it again and again.

20190418_163230.jpg

Bear

Thanks again my pepper,maple bacon sausage is incredible. I only make the pan and sliced like bacon. Will be making it again and again.

That Bacon looks Great, Sue!!
I can picture a couple slices laying next to a couple Eggs over Easy & some Home Fries!!
Yum!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky