Looking at building a smoke house

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Loping.Chihuahua

Original poster
Oct 4, 2019
Hey everybody! I've been searching the forums here and I got a lot of really great info. With going into winter and my time freeing up a bit, I think I’m going to build a smoke house. For context, I live in Northwest Indiana, I’ve smoked my share of food albeit with a Menard’s electric smoker and most recently my 22” weber kettle. My plans for the smoke house: I saw a lean-to style smoke house and I dimension-ed one specifically for me. I’m looking at 30” x 30” interior footprint with the tall peak of the lean-to measuring 43” and the low side measuring 36”. As for the actual construction of it, I’m thinking tongue and groove cedar inside on 2x4’s with Batt insulation in the wall, wrapped in T1-11. Oven-seal the door, use a continuous hinge and use the door clamps found on other smokers to hold it shut. Haven’t made any decisions on roofing. I’m looking for suggestions on exhaust and sealing the structure. I thought house wrap behind the T1-11 should slow/stop the flow of smoke through the house. If it cant exhaust, it cant intake right? And speaking of exhaust I’m considering a 6” duct at the top. I also thought that MAY be overkill. I also thought install a dryer periscope in the wall and pull my exhaust from the bottom and vent it at the top-ish. Thoughts?

There are numerous ways to control the temp and air flow during the construction... I do not recommend a single exhaust, out the roof, as they drip condensate on the food... exhausts on the side walls works well.... The upper air inlet on the FB is important as it moves heat to the smokehouse...

SMOKEHOUSE SMOKE PIPE TEE 2.jpg

Hey Dave!

Thanks for your input! I'm considering a few paths for a firebox. one being a potbelly wood burner, one being a FB in a foundation beneath or a NG or propane setup inside the smoke house and build it taller. Are there any circulatory benefits to exhaust location? my thought was the smoke would stay contained longer if i place the outlet down low. does it really matter?

TIA Kegan,

The longer the travel the smoke has to make, and any cooling effects of that travel, give time to condense any creosote which will greatly improve the smoke flavor...
NG or propane.... A flame detector to turn off the gas in the event of a flame out, is a VERY good idea...
A burner like Pops has is a very good choice.. Three levels of heat for cold to hot smoking... Available at Northern Tool...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky