Looking at a new pellet smoker..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WoodFan

Original poster
Dec 31, 2017
Hurricane,Utah
So I am interested in the Rec tec 700 or the Yoder ys640s, any hands on experience would be of great help. Ive had a Taeger for a couple of years now and would like something better quality!Thanks for any info...

Heard good things about the Rec-Tec never cooked on one though.
I have owned a Yoder Ys640 for a few years. Very nice machine with many options. I don’t regret the purchase, but there is a learning curve coming off of a Traeger style cooker. The Yoder is more like a pit than a grill. It takes a little more time for the temp to settle in and the Steel to warm up, but then it holds temps very tight.

Reactions: WoodFan
I'm not a pellet guy tho I sure do take note of all the great accolades that the folks on this site give to Rec-Tec. Seen a ton of great cooks come off of them, guys rave about the customer service. Yoder's look real nice and should for what they cost, I believe they'd take a little more out of your wallet than a Rec-Tec. Hard to go wrong with either one. RAY

I recently swapped out a Traeger Pro22 for a Rec Tec rt-590.
I have to say, the RT koolaid is legit.
Construction and temp control are above other grills in this price range. Biggest surprise, the auger doesn't make sound while running. Occasionally you hear a pellet get pinched, but there's no gear whine and clunking. It's meaningless to the cook, but for me it just makes the grill feel tighter toleranced.
I have not had to call customer service yet, but so far every other opinion has been spot on, I'm not worried about it.

Never had a Yoder or cooked on one but have read great things about them. I do have a Rec Tec RT 700 and absolutely love it. The thing is rock solid stable and very dependable. I just wish I had not waited to long to get it. Been a true pleasure to won and cook with. I wouldn't give it up for anything.

Robert

Hey Woodfan, I bought my RT340 last fall. The only regret I have is that I should have bought one of their other larger ones. However, I haven't run out of space in it yet, maybe more of a perception thing.

I looked at several smokers before going with RT. The temp remains pretty much spot on and the build is far better than most in the big box stores. I haven't needed their use, but their customer service is supposed to be great.

I have read, in the RT forum that some folks have wifi issues with them. I can say my connection was pretty straight forward and works great. I can start things in the morning and monitor on the app while at work. Almost feels like cheating.

I think you will be happy with it, should you decide that way.

Both of those can produce good results and many here have them. Whether they are right for you is a decision only you can make. At this point money was spent on one smoker and now it's getting ready to be spent a second time. Will the next purchase follow the same path resulting in yet another upgrade down the road? Following this scenario can easily cost more than purchasing a top of the line unit up front. Better to do your homework and come to a decision that will not only satisfy your expected smoking requirements now, but in the future as well.

Matt

Following this scenario can easily cost more than purchasing a top of the line unit up front.

BINGO!! I've spent a small fortune "upgrading" as I went. In hindsight I'd have saved myself thousands of dollars if I'd just gone top of the line from the beginning.

Robert

Construction and temp control are above other grills in this price range. Biggest surprise, the auger doesn't make sound while running. Occasionally you hear a pellet get pinched, but there's no gear whine and clunking. It's meaningless to the cook, but for me it just makes the grill feel tighter toleranced.
I have not had to call customer service yet, but so far every other opinion has been spot on, I'm not worried about it.

Well, one RT 590 owner to another, welcome to the Rec Tec family. The RT 590, is a great grill and a great value.

Last edited:
No experience with Yoder but I have the bull. It’s worth the hype and the customer service you get from them is second to none. I went from a traeger then a GMG Daniel Boone. The traeger was horrible, the GMG was decent but it doesn’t compare to the quality of Rec Tec. Good luck with your decision

Both would be good rigs. I purchased the RT 590 for the little money savings compared to the very little size difference. Love the grill but wish I would have gotten the bull now for the simple fact that when smoking in cold weather you could just throw a welding blanket over top. No can do with the 590 beings they have the 3 exhaust vents in the back side instead of stack. May need to come up with something this summer or if others have MaCGyver 'd something.

Im down to a 590 and a camp chef woodwind wifi 24 w/sidekick. would you buy rt again?

Im down to a 590 and a camp chef woodwind wifi 24 w/sidekick. would you buy rt again?

60lbs of pecan in, and YES, I would totally buy RT again.
Temps are solid, the control is easy, the wifi always connects, the graphing is surprisingly interesting to watch. Some of my joy stems from being completely worn out out trying to make my old grill better. But it all, the rt-590 has been worth it's every penny.
I got the grill grates with it on the leap day sale. They actually do what they advertise too.
All I need is some less rainy weather here in IN.

I did a total overkill analysis before buying the RT 700 Bull. ZERO regrets! Love it, work perfectly every time, all weather, super lux!

I have heard good reviews of the Yoders as well. My final three were Yoder, Rec Tec and MAK. MAK we too spendy for my first pellet grill=broke the budget. My best advice is to do a critical review between the Yoder and RT and choose what meets your needs and likes. there were a couple distinct differences for me that made the choice easy. If you are donw to these two - you should end up with a damn good pellet grill.

I was all in on a Yoder myself. But after comparing the two, I couldn't come up with math that made a Yoder worth twice the money. The money I saved is eventually going to be a kamado to go along with my RT.

A kamado + a pellet grill really is the great match imo. Kamado's make the best high temp direct heat grills in all my experience.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky