1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Lonzino with Umai bags

Discussion in 'Curing' started by link, Jan 11, 2019.

1. link

link Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I had purchased some Umai Bags and misplaced them (getting old) but recently stumbled upon them. Pork Loins were on sale so I figured I would give it a try.

I had followed the recipe provided with the Umai bags and watched their video on YouTube a few times. This is two pieces that started at 794 grams and 822 grams I started this in early December.
    I checked them last night and I am currently at 31.86% weight loss on one piece and 31.63% weight loss on the other. So I had to cut into one of them and see how it was.

I think this came out very well, the taste and texture are fantastic (wife like it as well). Slices are a bit thicker than I want but the best I could do with the knife. I may break out the slicer tonight and slice it up nice and thin.

Pic 1 - Recipe
    Pic 2 - Cure applied, ready for the 2 weeks in the fridge
    Pic 3 - 2 weeks later, cure rinsed off
    Pic 4 - Vac sealed with Umai bags
    Pic 5 - 31% weight loss
    Pic 6 - Top view
    Pic 7 - Bottom view
    Pic 8 - First cut
    Pic 9 - Sliced a bit up

This was fun to do and I will do it again for sure. Now I want to try with a piece of beef.
    Thanks for looking.

Link

Attached Files:

2. weev

weev Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Wow Looks Great congrats

3. pushok2018

pushok2018 Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

Beautiful Lonzino! Did it take about a month to 31% of weight loss?

4. link

Thanks, It took just over three weeks for it to hit 31%. Going to let the second piece go one more week and see where it ends up and if there is a big difference or not.

5. pushok2018

pushok2018 Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

If you will be able to achieve 40-45% of weight loss and you like a little dryer meat - you are going to love it even better. The taste will intensify for sure. Usually, when I dry cure lonzino, I cold smoke it for 24-32 hours. Yummy!

73saint and link like this.
  6. 73saint

73saint Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

You cold smoke after weight loss is achieved? Sounds great!

7. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

L, Fine job on the Lonzino! like

8. Lonzinomaker

Lonzinomaker Smoke Blower

Looks good, Lonzino is a lot of work but worth every bite.

9. link

Ok, the second piece hit just over 43% weight loss today so I sliced it up (no smoking too damn cold herr for that. High of 14 today.)
    The texture is dryer snd the flavor is fantastic. Thanks gor the recommendation.

Attached Files:

10. WaterinHoleBrew

WaterinHoleBrew Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

That lonzino looks top notch, nice job.

11. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Ok, question for you salami dry cure guys...

How are you guys storing the dry cured product after target weight loss is achieved? slice and vac-seal then freeze? Let it keep drying ambient temp.??

12. link

With this I put in an airtight container. It won't last that long. I like it as an after work snack with some smoked cheese.

13. Winterrider

Winterrider Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Ok, confusion has set in. Never tried this before but just watched several You Tube videos on dry aged beef. They don't really mention much on a targeted % weight loss. Is there a specific range one is looking for ? Or is this strictly a pork thing ?:emoji_thinking:

14. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I thought you were not suppose to put dry cured meats in an enclosed container???

15. WaterinHoleBrew

WaterinHoleBrew Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

I'am by no means an expert on this stuff... but what I do after the weigh loss is done is vac seal it for a few weeks to do an equalization vac. Then after that, I just keep it stored in a vac seal bag til I slice some up.. then reseal. I have some capicola & lonzino that's well over a year old now.

16. link

This may be true but mine will not last long enough to go bad.