Long time lurker, first time poster. Smoking my first turkey (and ham), need advice.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whoward

Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
I've got a Kamado Joe and have smoked just about everything except a turkey and have been nominated to smoke a bird for Thanksgiving this year.

I bought a 13lb frozen whole turkey and plan on smoking it Wednesday then taking it to our get together on Thanksgiving, so I'm not sure about the best way to cool/down and reheat without it getting dry. I'm also smoking a 10lb ham with it to take as well. The ham is one of those spiral sliced pre-cooked kind, so it won't take much smoke.

So my questions....
Should I brine?
Should I smoke the turkey skin on or skin off?
What wood works best? Was thinking of using a fruit (apple) but I have a lot of fresh pecan and hickory around the place too.
What's the best way about doing this the day before, as far as cooling down/reheating?
Also, any tips with the ham? I Just planned on throwing it in the smoke for an hour and then reheat it in the oven before serving.

Any advice is appreciated. I don't want to be the guy who serves a dried out turkey to everyone at Thanksgiving, so thanks for your input. I've been following this forum for a long time but never posted before.

Personally prefer apple but pecan would be my next choice. Do you have to smoke the turkey on Wed? Smoking and crispy skin can be a problem. Would definitely run at least at 325º, 350º better. Brining might be of help, here is one that should do the trick.

Alton Brown's Turkey Brine
Basic brine is based upon 1 cup of table salt (=10oz) to 1 gallon of water.
Note: Kosher salt is 5-7.5 oz per cup depending on brand

Ingredients:

1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns, optional
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice berries, optional
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped candied ginger, optional
1 gallon heavily iced water

Directions:

1. Begin thawing the turkey in the refrigerator or in a cooler kept at 38 degrees F. (usually 3-4 days ahead depending on size)

2. Combine the vegetable stock, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, allspice berries, and candied ginger in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil. Then remove the brine from the heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate.

3. Early on the day or the night before you'd like to eat: Combine the brine, water and ice in the 5-gallon bucket. Place the thawed turkey (with innards removed) breast side down in brine. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure it is fully immersed, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area for 8 to 16 hours, turning the bird once half way through brining.

4. Remove the bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard the brine.

Echoing Schlotz, but I prefer pecan. I use a kamado joe, big joe. I don’t brine, but exclusive use kosher birds which are “dry brined” with salt as part of the koshering process. I spachcock my turkey and smoke it at ~325 degrees. A 14 to 16 lb bird takes around two hours, but I start taking the birds temp after an hour or so. Sorry but nothing to say about the ham
Happy thanksgiving.

Reactions: schlotz
Given I think apple goes with every thing, we can know my vote for wood is apple.

I strongly suggest brining; it helps with turkey no matter how you prepare it. Crisping the skin? Well, either crank the smoker at the end, a trip under broil..or a blow torch. Though since you are going to reheat it, I'm wondering by reheating in an oven at 350 wouldn't crisp the skin?

I'd suggest when you reheat the ham, apply a glaze if you use one, not before this point. Just a thought. You might just consider putting the ham in a nesco or crockpot with some pineapple juice on low before you bring it over the day of, plug it back in, back on low till it's warm.

I have catered for years and was responsible for The Bird, at every Thanksgiving regardless of whose house it was held at. For Guaranteed Juicy fresh tasting Turkey.
On Tues or Wednesday...Remove the Legs at the Thigh. Remove the backbone and wings. Cut up some Celery, Carrot and Onions. Place the veg, backbone, wings, neck and giblets in a sprayed pan and Roast at 425, until well browned, 30 minutes or so. Place the goodies, Except the Liver (Chef's or Dogs treat!), in a large stock pot. Deglaze the pan with a cup of water or White Wine, scraping the pan well. Add to the stock pot with 8 Cups more Water, some Thyme, Black Peppercorns and a Bayleaf. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook 2-3 hours. Strain and de-fat, saving the fat for a Roux.
Bone out the Thighs, season the leg meat, inside and out, with your Rub and tie the thigh meat into a log shape. Season the Breast under and on the skin. Smoke the Turkey parts at the desired temp* to an IT of 155 in the Breast and 165 in the Leg meat. Allow to rest 30 minutes on the counter. Remove the string from the thighs, and slice into 1/4 to 1/2" thick rounds. Cut the meat from the legs. Remove the breast lobes from the bone and slice, point to point, in 1/4 to 1/2" thick slices. Spray a Half Size disposable roasting pan and Shingle the meat, dark on one end white on the other. Take your reserved Turkey Fat and place it in a sauce pan with a 1/2 Stick of Butter. Heat over med heat and add 1/2 Cup of Flour. Stir and cook until the Roux is golden brown. Add 6 cups Turkey Broth to the Roux, whisking until well incorporated. Continue to heat until it thickens and begins to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes. Now is the time to add S&P to taste. I use Better than Bouillon Base instead of salt.
OK, you are almost done. Pour 2-3 Cups of the Gravy all over the Turkey meat. Should be well moistened, about halfway up the meat. Reserve and chill the remaining gravy for service. Refrigerate any remaining Stock. Cover the pan with Hvy duty foil and seal tightly. On Turkey Day, bring the meat, gravy and stock to the dinner location. Heat the covered pan in a 325°F Oven until the IT hits 165°F. Reheat the Gravy and Stock. Adjust gravy thickness as needed and drizzle some hot stock over the meat to make it shine. Serve the Turkey and Gravy to the hungry crowd.
The Turkey will be hot, moist and already cut to be passed around.

*Smoker temp...You are not likely going to be eating the skin so you can maximize Smokey flavor going low and slow. I leave the skin on to protect moisture but remember to add rub under the skin...JJ

Every year I smoke/cook the turkey and transport it to the in-laws 2 hours away. To keep it hot - place a large pot of boiling water in a large cooler 2 hours before the bird is done surrounded by several towels. After the bird rests for 20-30 minutes, put it in a pan with foil or a lid and place in the cooler with the hot towels. Cover with additional towels and any other hot dishes of food.

With this technique my bird generally loses only a few degrees after 3-4 hours.

Heating the cooler and packing it tight with towels is the secret.

Reactions: mearm
I did a 21 pound bird a few years ago at the request of my father. I brined it for about 12 hours and smoked it with apple wood until done (about 3.5 hours, times will vary). This cook is what convinced me that I could make people happy. My dad carved this bird and it was crying because it was so juicy. My 70 year old parents said it was the best turkey they have ever had. So in conclusion: I brined for 12 hours, smoked with apple wood, had about 2 hours between pulling off smoker, wrapping with towels, transporting, then carving.

On Tues or Wednesday...Remove the Legs at the Thigh. Remove the backbone and wings.
I make a gravy the day before thanksgiving that's very similar to your recipe, but I buy extra wings and use those. You have me wondering if I can save money and use parts of the turkey I already have.

You say remove the backbone. Is that necessary for the gravy? Is that done because you're spatchcocking the turkey for smoking? I ask because I've got a 20 pounder and bought a roaster oven, and I'm planning to roast it whole in there. (I've got separate turkey breasts for the smoker.)

Bone out the Thighs, season the leg meat, inside and out, with your Rub and tie the thigh meat into a log shape.
In my case, the thighs can be smoked with the separate breasts following your method. Do you remove the thighs to ensure the breast and thighs cook evenly?

I'm only wondering now, how much gravy do you think your recipe makes? Mine calls for 4 1/2 pounds of wings and makes 25 (probably 1/4c-1/2c) servings.

With your method, I can still make the gravy early and save money not buying extra turkey wings. I don't know if you've posted your recipe separately, Mr. JJ, but it could be great for a lot of people. Sounds like it'll make a fine gravy. I'm glad I found it. Thank you for posting.

I remove the leg and thighs together. I remove the wings. I then stand the breast up, wishbone down, then cut through the the ribs, separating the backbone from the breast. The breast remains whole.
Because of all the many small bones, cartilage, connective tissue and fat on the backbone, IT IS the most important flavoring component of stock, hands down! Same goes for the neck. Besides they came with the bird. Why spend more for separate wings?
Yes I remove the legs for easy and accurate cooking, besides, it is a real Biotch to get the spine off with the legs still attached.
The above stock/gravy recipe was paired down for the little bird the OP was making. With a 20 pound bird, back, wings, neck, giblets, except the Liver, and the following, you can make a Gallon of stock, no problem. Same procedure as above but use...

Turkey Stock

1Cup Wht Wine
1 Gallon Water
1ea Large Onion, diced
4-6ea Carrots, by size, diced
4ea Ribs of Celery, diced
6ea Sprigs Fresh Thyme or 1tsp Dry Leaves
1ea Bayleaf
12ea Black Peppercorns
You need 6.5 to 13 Cups of Gravy. Figure, 2Tbs Fat (Butter/Turkey fat) and 2Tbs of Flour per Cup of Stock to make the amount of Gravy needed. Make your Gravy slightly thinner than what you like, as it thickens as it cools on the table.
This will leave some leftover Stock. Mine goes into the following recipe...JJ

Sage and Herb Sausage Dressing

2 1/2Lbs Bread, 2 of the large sliced sandwwich loaves.

4C Turkey Broth, Stock seasoned to taste with Better than Bouillon Base.

1Stk Butter

1 1/2Lbs Breakfast or Country Sausage, 2 Rolls Jimmy Dean is good.

2C Diced Onion, 1Lrg.

2C Diced Celery, 4 big Ribs.

2T Minced Fresh Sage Leaves, small bunch. (1T Dry Sage, rubbed)

1T Fresh Thyme Leaves, 6-8 sprigs. (1tsp Dry Thyme, rubbed)

1T Fresh Rosemary Leaves, Minced (1tsp Dry Rosemary, rubbed)

Salt and Pepper To Taste.

Melt the Butter in a 2Qt Pot. Add the Sausage and brown, breaking up into marble sized chunks.

Add the Onion and Cerlery and saute until tender.

Add the Herbs and saute until fragrant,2-3 minutes.

Add the Turkey Broth bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, 15-20 minutes.
NOTE: Make the Broth Mixture, saltier than you think is right. The Bread has no salt and it's easier to salt the Broth then the heavy Dressing.
Using a Serrated Knife, cut the bread into 3/4 inch Cubes and place in a large bowl.

Here is where I break with tradition, because my family likes moist dense Dressing as if it came out of the Bird...

Pour the Broth mixture over the bread and mix well.

Pour the Dressing mix in a greased 9 X 13 baking Dish.

Bake at 350°F for 1 hour until hot and top is Brown and Crunchy.

This makes the dense flavorful Dressing we like.
Note: For a lighter Dressing, more loose and crumbly, Dry the Bread Cubes in a 275°F Oven, spread on cookie sheets, toss frequently. To bake, cover the baking dish with foil and bake 30 minutes, Uncover and bake 30 minutes more to Crisp and Brown the top...

This makes enough for 6 (my big eaters) with plenty leftovers or 8-12 regular folks.

I'm in similar boat where I need to smoke a turkey on Tuesday to eat on Thurs. so wondering best way to reheat? Seen a couple different ideas so main q's -
Once it's done on Tuesday - better to cut/slice it or leave it whole?
For reheating Thursday - better to put in oven in covered foil tray with some broth to get to temp, or, if sliced, pack in vacuum sealed bags and brought to temp in hot bath?

I'm in similar boat where I need to smoke a turkey on Tuesday to eat on Thurs. so wondering best way to reheat? Seen a couple different ideas so main q's -
Once it's done on Tuesday - better to cut/slice it or leave it whole?
For reheating Thursday - better to put in oven in covered foil tray with some broth to get to temp, or, if sliced, pack in vacuum sealed bags and brought to temp in hot bath?

See #5 post on this thread. Chef jimmyj covered all your questions!

I remove the leg and thighs together. I remove the wings. I then stand the breast up, wishbone down, then cut through the the ribs, separating the backbone from the breast. The breast remains whole.
Because of all the many small bones, cartilage, connective tissue and fat on the backbone, IT IS the most important flavoring component of stock, hands down! Same goes for the neck. Besides they came with the bird. Why spend more for separate wings?
Yes I remove the legs for easy and accurate cooking, besides, it is a real Biotch to get the spine off with the legs still attached.
The above stock/gravy recipe was paired down for the little bird the OP was making. With a 20 pound bird, back, wings, neck, giblets, except the Liver, and the following, you can make a Gallon of stock, no problem. Same procedure as above but use...

Turkey Stock

1Cup Wht Wine
1 Gallon Water
1ea Large Onion, diced
4-6ea Carrots, by size, diced
4ea Ribs of Celery, diced
6ea Sprigs Fresh Thyme or 1tsp Dry Leaves
1ea Bayleaf
12ea Black Peppercorns
You need 6.5 to 13 Cups of Gravy. Figure, 2Tbs Fat (Butter/Turkey fat) and 2Tbs of Flour per Cup of Stock to make the amount of Gravy needed. Make your Gravy slightly thinner than what you like, as it thickens as it cools on the table.
This will leave some leftover Stock. Mine goes into the following recipe...JJ

Sage and Herb Sausage Dressing

2 1/2Lbs Bread, 2 of the large sliced sandwwich loaves.

4C Turkey Broth, Stock seasoned to taste with Better than Bouillon Base.

1Stk Butter

1 1/2Lbs Breakfast or Country Sausage, 2 Rolls Jimmy Dean is good.

2C Diced Onion, 1Lrg.

2C Diced Celery, 4 big Ribs.

2T Minced Fresh Sage Leaves, small bunch. (1T Dry Sage, rubbed)

1T Fresh Thyme Leaves, 6-8 sprigs. (1tsp Dry Thyme, rubbed)

1T Fresh Rosemary Leaves, Minced (1tsp Dry Rosemary, rubbed)

Salt and Pepper To Taste.

Melt the Butter in a 2Qt Pot. Add the Sausage and brown, breaking up into marble sized chunks.

Add the Onion and Cerlery and saute until tender.

Add the Herbs and saute until fragrant,2-3 minutes.

Add the Turkey Broth bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, 15-20 minutes.
NOTE: Make the Broth Mixture, saltier than you think is right. The Bread has no salt and it's easier to salt the Broth then the heavy Dressing.
Using a Serrated Knife, cut the bread into 3/4 inch Cubes and place in a large bowl.

Here is where I break with tradition, because my family likes moist dense Dressing as if it came out of the Bird...

Pour the Broth mixture over the bread and mix well.

Pour the Dressing mix in a greased 9 X 13 baking Dish.

Bake at 350°F for 1 hour until hot and top is Brown and Crunchy.

This makes the dense flavorful Dressing we like.
Note: For a lighter Dressing, more loose and crumbly, Dry the Bread Cubes in a 275°F Oven, spread on cookie sheets, toss frequently. To bake, cover the baking dish with foil and bake 30 minutes, Uncover and bake 30 minutes more to Crisp and Brown the top...

This makes enough for 6 (my big eaters) with plenty leftovers or 8-12 regular folks.

Amazing! This is exactly the type of stuffing I like to make every year! I usually like using sage flavored sausage and Cellone's breadcrumbs. I do add some garlic cloves to everything. Uncanny that you left that recipe too! You're awesome!

Once you remove the Turkey's backbone, do you leave the turkey round (as is) to go into the smoker or do you flatten the turkey out? I'm planning to roast it round/ as is. Wonder if it'll stay round with no backbone.

I have catered for years and was responsible for The Bird, at every Thanksgiving regardless of whose house it was held at. For Guaranteed Juicy fresh tasting Turkey.
On Tues or Wednesday...Remove the Legs at the Thigh. Remove the backbone and wings. Cut up some Celery, Carrot and Onions. Place the veg, backbone, wings, neck and giblets in a sprayed pan and Roast at 425, until well browned, 30 minutes or so. Place the goodies, Except the Liver (Chef's or Dogs treat!), in a large stock pot. Deglaze the pan with a cup of water or White Wine, scraping the pan well. Add to the stock pot with 8 Cups more Water, some Thyme, Black Peppercorns and a Bayleaf. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook 2-3 hours. Strain and de-fat, saving the fat for a Roux.
Bone out the Thighs, season the leg meat, inside and out, with your Rub and tie the thigh meat into a log shape. Season the Breast under and on the skin. Smoke the Turkey parts at the desired temp* to an IT of 155 in the Breast and 165 in the Leg meat. Allow to rest 30 minutes on the counter. Remove the string from the thighs, and slice into 1/4 to 1/2" thick rounds. Cut the meat from the legs. Remove the breast lobes from the bone and slice, point to point, in 1/4 to 1/2" thick slices. Spray a Half Size disposable roasting pan and Shingle the meat, dark on one end white on the other. Take your reserved Turkey Fat and place it in a sauce pan with a 1/2 Stick of Butter. Heat over med heat and add 1/2 Cup of Flour. Stir and cook until the Roux is golden brown. Add 6 cups Turkey Broth to the Roux, whisking until well incorporated. Continue to heat until it thickens and begins to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes. Now is the time to add S&P to taste. I use Better than Bouillon Base instead of salt.
OK, you are almost done. Pour 2-3 Cups of the Gravy all over the Turkey meat. Should be well moistened, about halfway up the meat. Reserve and chill the remaining gravy for service. Refrigerate any remaining Stock. Cover the pan with Hvy duty foil and seal tightly. On Turkey Day, bring the meat, gravy and stock to the dinner location. Heat the covered pan in a 325°F Oven until the IT hits 165°F. Reheat the Gravy and Stock. Adjust gravy thickness as needed and drizzle some hot stock over the meat to make it shine. Serve the Turkey and Gravy to the hungry crowd.
The Turkey will be hot, moist and already cut to be passed around.

*Smoker temp...You are not likely going to be eating the skin so you can maximize Smokey flavor going low and slow. I leave the skin on to protect moisture but remember to add rub under the skin...JJ

I was just at a Friendsgiving. I convinced the host to give me the carcasses of two turkeys. One was smoked and the other deep fried. I plan to make stock with them.

I was thinking about roasting the bones with some mirepoix prior to making stock. Would it be okay since they were already cooked? Also, if I do this, should I remove the meat and skin that is on some turkey parts before roasting? Yes, I plan to deglaze the pan(s).

Remove the meat for Snacking, but not necessary. The Cooked bones, skin, meat, etc., can go right in the Stock pot as is. IF you wish a deeper brown color and flavor, Roast everything but the skin, it's already brown. Take care not to Burn it. Golden Brown and Delicious is the goal. Put the browned Bones, Veg and Skin in the pot and proceed...JJ

Remove the meat for Snacking, but not necessary. The Cooked bones, skin, meat, etc., can go right in the Stock pot as is. IF you wish a deeper brown color and flavor, Roast everything but the skin, it's already brown. Take care not to Burn it. Golden Brown and Delicious is the goal. Put the browned Bones, Veg and Skin in the pot and proceed...JJ

Thanks! I already threw the carcasses into the freezer. I didn't have room for them in the refrigerator. So, I think I'll just go straight to the stock pot. Do you think I need to thaw beforehand?

Not if you are not picking any left over meat. You can roast then simmer the frozen carcass...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky