Long Smoke times questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yeah, smoke them, then let them rest and smoke again. and storage in between smokes I would think you'd want to maintain the same 55°-65° temp called for in the recipe, and not refrig'ed

I dont think i would smoke, fridge then smoke again as you could end up with something undesirable.

I have cold smoked, bumped the temp (no smoke) then lowered and continued the smoke.

nepas what is the temp you bump to on the No smoke ? I am just perplexed by this ..

Perhaps I will start with something like Summer Sausage or the soppersata , also want to do Chorizo and well till I have more time and cooler temps think the others are going to have ta wait :) but if you have any good spicy salami recipe's I should try that are maybe faster for this time a year please let me know :)
thanks for all your help

Not sure why you'd want to bump the temps up, but the recipe you referenced calls for a thin cold smoke at 60-64°, so that's the temp you'd want to keep whether in smoke or resting. My temps in CNY never got above 45 today so it would be easy to maintain 60-64.

nepas what is the temp you bump to on the No smoke ? I am just perplexed by this ..

Perhaps I will start with something like Summer Sausage or the soppersata , also want to do Chorizo and well till I have more time and cooler temps think the others are going to have ta wait :) but if you have any good spicy salami recipe's I should try that are maybe faster for this time a year please let me know :)
thanks for all your help

IE

Cold smoke at 60-80* for anywhere from 3-12 hours then bump to 140 (no smoke) Depending on what i'm making.

All this is not that hard. If you know about cures, times, temps, R/H then your good to go.

Dry cure fridge with temp, humidity control.

950a1c7d_306.jpg

Last edited:
I am so making that fridge .. My Husband thinks I am totally nuts
laugh1.gif
  But hey if you can't learn something new every day and or try something new every day how am I suppose to keep preserving and such alive ..

Do you have a link for a dry cure fridge ... I looked and looked and still have not found one like yours ... Guess I will be on creigslist and amazon for a while
wife.gif
laugh1.gif

I am so making that fridge .. My Husband thinks I am totally nuts
laugh1.gif
  But hey if you can't learn something new every day and or try something new every day how am I suppose to keep preserving and such alive ..

Do you have a link for a dry cure fridge ... I looked and looked and still have not found one like yours ... Guess I will be on creigslist and amazon for a while
wife.gif
laugh1.gif

Not many links out there.

TSM has one you can go by.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/tutorials/chamber/curing_chamber.html

Thanks this is a great link just what I needed 
super.gif
  Now .. the ole man is really gonna kill me when I make us drag this down to the basement
laugh1.gif

my 2 cents. I only read a couple of replies and I agree with both.They both implied that you should research it a little and have a definite plan . Although " salami " takes on many different definitions in the general conversation  within sausage making " salami" is a very specific and distinctive product . True "salami " making is almost a  meat preparation method of its own. If one is talking about the common " salami" that uses certain spices and is smoked and dried a little that is different than the true salami which in many cases is not smoked at all. I would put the  first that i described as what we call "cooked Salami  "if one wants to learn about authentic salami there is a very good book ( i can not recall the Title ) sold by "The Butcher and Packer  , a sausage supple company in Royal Oak Michigan. You can google them. I have absolutely no conecction to them other than i have purchased items there.I saw the book on the shelf and looked it over.It has an exotic sounding french name but it is good.  I dont mean to split hairs about " salami " but true salami and the common product a lot of sausage makers started with ( and I love It ) are very diiferent products . Sorry to ramble.Weisswurst

Thank you Weisswurst .. I will check into the book ..  I am by no means even going to touch any fermented or other wise until I have a full understanding on how it all works ..
I was just shocked at the 5-7 days smoke time because well that would be hard to achieve .. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky