Long smoke- temp and time frame question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

its a gas

Original poster
Oct 3, 2020
Bay area Cali.
Started my first pork butt at 6am this morning. Recipe says smoke for 12 to 13 hours at 225* and remove at 205" internal. If I reach 205 before the time frame, Im assuming leave it smoking for the duration?

IMG_20210321_063023682.jpg

Use an instant read therm and [robe several areas. Butts are done when they are done. I have had them finish long after the average time as well as before the time was up.

Time is a broad frame work. Temp is what counts. As above use an instant read probe and start checking at about 190F. Should feel like soft butter.

My own experience is that I could grow old before geting a pork shoulder to 205 internal at 225 degrees. I don't know if it's the altitude (~6000 ft) or what. 18 hours at 270 to maybe get to 200 is more common for me.

My own experience is that I could grow old before geting a pork shoulder to 205 internal at 225 degrees. I don't know if it's the altitude (~6000 ft) or what. 18 hours at 270 to maybe get to 200 is more common for me.
Yeah, that altitude makes a big difference

Don't worry about internal temperature. It is done when it has reached the desired tenderness. IT will give you a rough estimate, but that can vary widely especially at altitude. At 6000 ft, it might be dried out before it reaches 205F.

Doneness isn't time or temperature. It's texture and firmness. Cooking low and slow will usually finish at a lower internal temperature, under 200F. Hot and fast usually gets tender above 200F internal. Time is a guesstimate.

Reactions: bregent
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky