London Broil marinades

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Newglide

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
NC
Going to give a london broil a try this weekend.
Does anybody have a good marinade they can suggest?
I'm not a huge soy sauce fan and all I can find is marinades with soy sauce.

My thoughts are to marinade it overnight, season with some SPOG then fire up the smoker to 250 and let it go to about 120 IT.
Reverse sear to about 130ish. Let it rest for awhile then cut into it.

In like flint. They are always on sale here but I have no idea how to prepare one. Watching and waiting.

Keith

Reactions: Newglide
The old standard London Broil recipe was to marinate the top round for a few hours to overnight in Italian dressing after using a jaccard to tenderize it.
Or you could jaccard it then dry brine it overnight using your favorite beef rub or just SPOG.
If you do marinate it instead, omit the SPOG.
The rest of your plan is on target.

I was going to say Italian dressing as well since you do not like Soy. The other thing you can do is make your own with the rub you like and something like Worcestershire or Apple juice. I have done it with apple juice before and water with some spice.

I had a LB broil phase years ago... I forget where I picked it up from but the classic marinade is half WS/lemon juice. Additions of garlic and black pepper welcome. This is one time where WS brand matters and Lea & Perrins is far better than generic. Never smoked one though but plan sounds good and yep rare to med rare ONLY or shoe leather and loss of flavor. Part of the magic that is LB is the broiling so hit the sear HARD. I would let it cool down or sear the next day or 2. Not kidding, I made some of the best meat of my life in that phase. Good luck!

I like Emeril's recipe (google it) but it uses soy sauce. If you have top round steak, which is often labeled as London broil, you could use any acid/oil/aromatic marinade you want, even Italian dressing as suggested. Of course it won't really be "London broil," but that's OK. If it is flank steak (better yet), just a dry brine overnight would be good. Also it might be better to grill it medium rare instead of smoking, especially if its round steak.

The old standard London Broil recipe was to marinate the top round for a few hours to overnight in Italian dressing after using a jaccard to tenderize it.
Or you could jaccard it then dry brine it overnight using your favorite beef rub or just SPOG.
If you do marinate it instead, omit the SPOG.
The rest of your plan is on target.
Didn't think of the jaccard I'll give it a stab :) Didn't know if marinating don't SPOG, I think I'll give it a dry brine overnight sounds like a simple plan. Thanks.

I was going to say Italian dressing as well since you do not like Soy. The other thing you can do is make your own with the rub you like and something like Worcestershire or Apple juice. I have done it with apple juice before and water with some spice.
Saw the Italian dressing idea, I've used it on chicken before. Thanks

Part of the magic that is LB is the broiling so hit the sear HARD. I would let it cool down or sear the next day or 2. Not kidding, I made some of the best meat of my life in that phase. Good luck!
I'll give it a try, thanks

This is my Go-To marinade for London Broil.
It has both Soy and Fish sauces but you'll not taste them outright, they're subtle.
This recipe includes both a smoking and grilling phase.
Internal temps are key here, too high and you'll have leather instead of tender, tasty beef.
To do this right you must have a screaming hot grill or cast iron skillet and be able to sear very quickly.
Being that the meats surface temp should already be hot from the smoker is key to the reverse sear.

Last edited:
This is my Go-To marinade for London Broil.
It has both Soy and Fish sauces but you'll not taste them outright, they're subtle.
This recipe includes both a smoking and grilling phase.
Thanks

Didn't think of the jaccard I'll give it a stab :) Didn't know if marinating don't SPOG, I think I'll give it a dry brine overnight sounds like a simple plan. Thanks.

If you don't have an actual jaccard, a dinner fork will work in a pinch.
Funny thing is some of the top rounds I've bought in the past did not need to be mechanically tenderized. But, oh man, it makes them almost melt in your mouth tender.

Just got this in an email. Haven't tried it but another ides.

Keith

Keith

That sounds pretty good.

Try some Dale's low sodium marinade mixed 50-50 with either beef broth or Dr Pepper yeah believe it or not Dale's and Dr Pepper makes a pretty dang good marinade

Reactions: chilerelleno
If you don't have an actual jaccard, a dinner fork will work in a pinch.
Funny thing is some of the top rounds I've bought in the past did not need to be mechanically tenderized. But, oh man, it makes them almost melt in your mouth tender.
Thankfully I do have one. LOL I can see the family's reaction to me stabbing their dinner with a fork like a mad man. They may leave and go for take out

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
That does look like a good one to try.

Try some Dale's low sodium marinade mixed 50-50 with either beef broth or Dr Pepper yeah believe it or not Dale's and Dr Pepper makes a pretty dang good marinade
I've heard of people using Pepsi and other soda's, haven't tried it yet.

Loots of good ideas, Thanks.
If this works out I'll have to keep my eye out for a few more and try these out

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky