Lollipops ~ Sweeter Than Candy On A Stick

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
Lollipops anyone?? I've been hooked on the 'lollipop' drumstick prep for several years and I might spend 4 or 5 minutes on each one usually sitting at the kitchen table watching someone's You Tube channel (we don't have cable TV) on my tablet. But it's worth it. No tendons or that pesky fibula bone that is as sharp as a toothpick to deal with, so the bite is clean.

These were dry brined with Naturiffic Harvest Brine, which is a premixed small batch dry brine..... for 4 hours and then sprinkled with cracked pepper. I used my 3-tine sausage pricker tool to perforate the skin.... this helps on drumsticks and wings. I did an indirect cook at temps around 375° with some wine barrel splits in my large Egg, and took the internal temp into the 190°'s. Having all the meat in a ball shape helps keep them moist and lets the skin get bite-thru.

hjkDek3.jpg

tBiV6pj.jpg

I'm not a sauce guy, but I did give these bad boys a light swirl in the new Blues Hog Competition Blend, and boy does it make chicken shine! It looks dark in the bottle, but as it's glazing.... translucent is about the only way to describe the color.
J420uqp.jpg

Hmmmm, looks like I am adding another technique to my arsenal soon. Those look amazing.

Those look great thirdeye. I looked on youtube and there were several videos for lollipops. Would you please share the link for the specific youtube video you referred too? Thanks.

Rob

Those look really good...

For what it's worth, we don't have any TV service, either. No satellite, no cable, etc...

Those look great thirdeye. I looked on youtube and there were several videos for lollipops. Would you please share the link for the specific youtube video you referred too? Thanks.

Rob
Oh, I was talking about watching various videos, western movies or TV re-runs while prepping lollipops. But watch someone do it, it's much easier. It's a 360° cut around the ankle, followed by pulling the meat down, then pulling and cutting the tendons and snapping off the bone. I will drift a paring knife along the leg bone and under the fibula, then twist the knife 90° like you were starting your car. You will hear the snap, then use forceps or small pliers to remove it. It looks like a toothpick.
L5bXil4.jpg

Those look really good...

For what it's worth, we don't have any TV service, either. No satellite, no cable, etc...

We have fixed wireless internet using a little radio antenna on the house and a line-of-sight aim point to a tower. Okay down and up speeds for regular use and video streaming from Netflix or whatever.

Now lamb lolipops.... but I do think those are great!
Yes! I'm in lamb country and can get domestic racks of lamb. The price has been climbing though.

Reactions: 912smoker
Thanks thirdeye for the how to. I misunderstood what you said about watching videos. I too, don't have cable and I don't miss it. I built an antenna to watch local channels and that is all I need, though I do stream some free programs.

Rob

Reactions: thirdeye
Not generally a Drumstick guy, but these look good...JJ

Rob
Here is a pretty good instructional write-up to check out. I use forceps too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky