log lighter...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

badlarry08

Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Massachusetts
I was thinking of using this as a log lighter in my firebox. Just wondering if anyone had ideas as to why it wouldn't work well for this purpose? Is 6"x16" produces 70, 000 btus and the venturi is located outside the firebox. Thoughts and ideas welcome!

If set under a raised charcoal box and lit for about 10 minutes it should prove to be very effective. The only precaution would to be, remove it after the coals are lit and use compressed air to blow ashes out of the burner afterwards.

Natural gas or propane?

Last edited:
My smoker build allows me to place an salvaged wall furnace burner under burn basket. Works great. That is how I switch to LP after the "wrap" and smoke is unnecessary. It also burns remaining wood in basket. Yes I have used it to start wood but its not as fast as my weed burner.

Agreed!   You can also use it to sanitize your smoker racks, melt snow, burn grass, almost caught my fence on fire once.  Funny and scary at the same time.
That's the part I like,,,,,,
th_violent5.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky