Loading, managing your racks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gkainz

Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Arvada, CO
Looking for tips on how you all load up your racks before taking them out to the smoker. I've tried loading a rack with meat (jerky, fish, etc) and then try to put another rack above it using soup cans to separate them...didn't work all that slick. So, how do you do it when you have multiple racks of meat?
Especially hanging jerky, since I have a batch marinating in the fridge right now. I intend to use skewers and hang the jerky strips and would like to load all the racks at once and then slide them into the GOSM smoker.

Thanks!
Greg

I guess I don't want to keep the smoker door open while I'm loading racks, so trying to load them up (somewhat neatly) in the kitchen first. Sounds like I need to make a rack rack...

Greg, it depends on what I'm smoking. If it's jerky, I'll load the rack as I use skewers and hang the meat from the rack. If it's butts, ribs, loins, or birds, I'll just take them out on a jelly roll pan. I found that I can load the racks at the smoker almost as fast as I can slide the rack in and adjust the food.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky