Live Fire Skewer Grilling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
I'm not sure how many people do this South American style of grilling, or have been to a Brazilian restaurant with the gaucho style servers and all the grilled delicacies, but about 15 years ago an online cooking buddy ordered some skewers from somewheres in South America, and gifted a few of us. The ones I have are the traditional 'V' shaped blade, but are only long enough to use on my small Big Green Egg or my Mini WSM or a campfire.
rU8pSae.jpg

ucQxq0v.jpg
A week or two ago I got a link from another skewer lover to a US branch of COMPANY that sells similar skewers, but these are long enough to work on my large BGE so I thought I'd share. The 'small' are 3/8" wide (the same width as above) the 'medium' are 5/8" wide and the 'large' are 7/8" wide. I bought 5/8" and 7/8" with plans to gift some at Christmas.
N8l2pWM.jpg
These are around 29" overall, with about an 18" cooking area on the blades. The little rollers are for a restaurant rotisserie and are fixed, the handles are aluminum.

They look like they would work great! I keep telling my wife her aluminum knitting needles would make great skewers... and I keep getting the look!

Ryan

Those look great. Are the small ones the same length as the medium? Very nice, you got me thinking now.

They look well made. We had Kabobs as a kid but my family didn't show much interest the couple times I skewered stuff up. I will have to try again. The Weber Go Anywhere is a perfect size for Kabobs...JJ

Those look great. Are the small ones the same length as the medium? Very nice, you got me thinking now.
The short ones with meat and shrimp are my old ones, and they are 3/8" wide. the new ones are 5/8" and 7/8". I'm sure that 3/8" ones from this company are long. On their order page small, med, and large refer to blade width.

The short ones with meat and shrimp are my old ones, and they are 3/8" wide. the new ones are 5/8" and 7/8". I'm sure that 3/8" ones from this company are long. On their order page small, med, and large refer to blade width.
OK thanks for the info. I'd like to get a set, but I usually cook chicken or shrimp kabobs. Mostly smaller pieces, so I was thinking the 3/8' ones. And it's the Coated ones on their site, right?

OK thanks for the info. I'd like to get a set, but I usually cook chicken or shrimp kabobs. Mostly smaller pieces, so I was thinking the 3/8' ones. And it's the Coated ones on their site, right?
There were two handle styles, one was like an open loop, the other was the style I got. And yes, there is a coating of sorts on the aluminum handle. It's not anodized and even might be sprayed on. They answered my email about widths in one day, so if you email about the coating let's us know.

Reactions: MJB05615
There were two handle styles, one was like an open loop, the other was the style I got. And yes, there is a coating of sorts on the aluminum handle. It's not anodized and even might be sprayed on. They answered my email about widths in one day, so if you email about the coating let's us know.
OK, thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna get a set of 6 of the small ones. First gonna measure the diameter of the current low end ones I use to make sure the new ones not too small. Just don't want to get the wrong size. I'll email them several questions first, and let you know any additional info I get. Thanks.

OK, thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna get a set of 6 of the small ones. First gonna measure the diameter of the current low end ones I use to make sure the new ones not too small. Just don't want to get the wrong size. I'll email them several questions first, and let you know any additional info I get. Thanks.
The 7/8" ones are pretty wide but I like to make kofta (or sausage) kababs and have some 1/2" flat skewers, but thinking the V shape would let the meat hang on better.
Hyme05D.jpg

The 7/8" ones are pretty wide but I like to make kofta (or sausage) kababs and have some 1/2" flat skewers, but thinking the V shape would let the meat hang on better.
View attachment 471688
Those sausage kabobs look awesome! That's my thinking too, the V shape would help all meat set better on the skewers. Especially Shrimp, which tends to slip and spin around when turning over. I've had to use 2 skewers sometimes to avoid the spin, and that's a PITA to thread evenly.

You were right, they replied to email really fast, and very nice. Excellent Customer service! Here's a schematic they sent, looks like 19" of cooking area on each skewer, which is good I think. I'll measure my existing and compare, but I think that's plenty for my Grill.

Attachments

• Dimensions of the Skewers.PNG
    Dimensions of the Skewers.PNG
    201.9 KB · Views: 12
You were right, they replied to email really fast, and very nice. Excellent Customer service! Here's a schematic they sent, looks like 19" of cooking area on each skewer, which is good I think. I'll measure my existing and compare, but I think that's plenty for my Grill.
Nice. Now I'll have to find an butcher from Argentina to cut me some hump steaks. :emoji_laughing:

Nice. Now I'll have to find an butcher from Argentina to cut me some hump steaks. :emoji_laughing:
LOL. I just measured the cooking area of my existing skewers, and found they're only 12"! So definitely getting a set or 2 of these for sure. 1 additional thing, the ones with the coated solid handles are not dishwasher safe, not a big deal, just letting you know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky