Little weekend grilling experiment...burgers and broil w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Didn't have much time this past weekend to get the smoker going but that didn't stop me from spending some time outside cooking, having a few cold ones, and spending time with the family. Tried a couple things I don't normally do and figured I would share. Checked in the freezer and I had a couple pounds of ground beef, some bacon, and a couple London broils(or top round whatever you like to call them). Didn't get much in the way of prep pics...I wasn't thinking.

Saturday night started with my cast iron skillet on the grill with a little bacon and eggs
burger1.jpg

Threw on 3 burgers and got them going. Enjoying a cold PBR in the process.
Burger2.jpg

Once the burgers were done I threw them on the top rack and tossed on some boursin cheese. Note the lone hot dog on the grill for my 4 yr old daughter haha
Burger3.jpg

Put the bacon on top of the boursin cheese burgers and tossed a fried egg on top.
Burger4.jpg

Money shot. These were some of the best burgers I have ever made. I know burgers with bacon and eggs are nothing new but if you have never tried it give it a shot with the boursin cheese as well. Out of this world good.

On Sunday I wanted to make my wife something nice for mothers day. Krogers had beef tenderloins on sale for $9.99 a lb but I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. Although I did get 5 racks of baby back ribs for $1.77 a pound. So I got the London broils out of the freezer and thawed them in cold water.

Every time I have ever made London broil it has turned out like chewy shoe leather and I ended up feeding it to my dog. Could never get it right. Was afraid mothers day dinner would suck.

Got these out and stabbed each side of them with a fork about 200 times. I then added on Worcestershire sauce and a little bit of dales. Sprinkled with no seasoned meat tenderizer and then a nice coat of SPOG. Stuck them in the fridge for a couple hours.
Broil1.jpg

After a couple hours I pulled them out of the fridge and tossed them on the grill at about 500-600 degrees. These things maybe only took 3 minutes per side. I pulled them off when they reached 120 as we like our meat rare-medium rare around here. Let them rest for 20 minutes while I threw on some more hot dogs for the kids and had another cold one.
Broil2.jpg

Threw them on the block and started slicing thin against the grain. The result: the most moist, tender, flavorful broils I have ever had.
Broil3.jpg

I had quite a few test piece while I was slicing this up. Stuff melted in your mouth like butter. Even added a little boursin cheese on the finished product.
Broil4.jpg

For such a tough cut of beef this stuff was wonderful and the whole family enjoyed it. Even my wife who normally wont eat any steak unless its filet. Probably would have been better with a little smoke flavor but hey nothing wrong with rolling out the grill every once in awhile when you are in a time crunch! Hopefully will get to fire up the smoker next weekend and put those 5 racks of baby backs to work!

I like how well you kept the Que lubed. Can O Lite, PBR, Bottle O lite... My kind of enjoyment of the great outdoors!
And the food looks out of this World Good!

I was wondering what beer or wine you would suggest with Hot Dogs for the kids?
(Yeah, I started getting sips off Dad's Beer back then. Budweiser, was one I recall.)

You hit it all! Hamburger, cheese, eggs, hot dogs, beer, hunks of beef.
There has to be a Country Song in all of that.... :)

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Nothing gets by SonnyE LOL, I noticed the two different beers as well. Gotta do whatcha gotta do LOL. Great job on the food. Looks amazing

Smokin, Teriyaki sauce works well with london broil also.

Never mix a finely crafted micro brewed PBR with can of swell from a macro brewing competitor. Shameful, hanging my head in disgust.

Point for sure
chris

I like how well you kept the Que lubed. Can O Lite, PBR, Bottle O lite... My kind of enjoyment of the great outdoors!
And the food looks out of this World Good!

I was wondering what beer or wine you would suggest with Hot Dogs for the kids?
(Yeah, I started getting sips off Dad's Beer back then. Budweiser, was one I recall.)

You hit it all! Hamburger, cheese, eggs, hot dogs, beer, hunks of beef.
There has to be a Country Song in all of that.... :)

Lol. I believe I started sneaking my Dad's natty light when he was grilling at about 10 years old

Smokin, Teriyaki sauce works well with london broil also.

Never mix a finely crafted micro brewed PBR with can of swell from a macro brewing competitor. Shameful, hanging my head in disgust.

Point for sure
chris

I like to keep a nice selection around and the beer fridge stocked up. I had some PBR, Miller, Coors, Rolling Rock, Yuengling, and I think some natty light on hand. My #1 rule is not to drink anything with the word ICE in it anymore. Other than that we are good.

Thanks for all the compliments! What really got me started going was wanting to put smoked cheddar on top of the bacon egg burger. But as I was slicking up some cheddar I smoked a couple months ago I found a box of boursin in the fridge and decided to give that a shot.

I've got all kinds of cheese I smoked on hand was trying to think what else would be good on the burger? Guess you really couldn't go wrong with anything

Thanks for all the compliments! What really got me started going was wanting to put smoked cheddar on top of the bacon egg burger. But as I was slicking up some cheddar I smoked a couple months ago I found a box of boursin in the fridge and decided to give that a shot.

I've got all kinds of cheese I smoked on hand was trying to think what else would be good on the burger? Guess you really couldn't go wrong with anything

Smoked anything, Yeah, I'd try that.
Except Rutabagas or Lima Beans. It is an established fact I do not like those.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky