Link to OLD butcher recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dwdunlap

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
Jul 3, 2016
Richardson, Texas (Dallas)
I recently bought a smoker and in searching for old-time Polish sausage recipes I found a collection I think you will get a kick out of in browsing through. Comes from an old butcher supplier, B. Heller Co. Chicago. I think may still be in business, and this was meant for commercial butchers. Recipes for everything from all sorts of sausages to kraut to mincemeat. I really enjoyed browsing through and I bet you will too.

Library of Congress PDF

https://ia800300.us.archive.org/3/items/secretsofmeatcur05hell/secretsofmeatcur05hell_bw.pdf  

David Dunlap

Pretty interesting reading.

I didn't read it all but will come back when I have more time.

Thank you,

Al

What a bummer! Link wouldn't let me through! 

I LOVE old recipes!

pot.gif

Just beginning scanning.

If nothing else, this is a treasure just for the historical relic qualities of it.

Good luck and good smoking.

The original link worked just fine for me. I bought a copy on Amazon a while back. Very poorly produced- it looked like just a bunch of mimeographed pages from a smaller book. There are some good recipes in there, but every one uses "Freeze-em-Pickle", and I have no idea how to convert that to something more modern. You can still get "Freeze-em-Pickle" from some company in San Francisco, but I prefer my bacon without ethylene glycol in it.

The original link worked just fine for me. I bought a copy on Amazon a while back. Very poorly produced- it looked like just a bunch of mimeographed pages from a smaller book. There are some good recipes in there, but every one uses "Freeze-em-Pickle", and I have no idea how to convert that to something more modern. You can still get "Freeze-em-Pickle" from some company in San Francisco, but I prefer my bacon without ethylene glycol in it.

Freeze-em pickle is used for making a brine or used in certain recipe’s for cured sausages. Use Freeze-Em-Pickle as directed in your formula or recipe. The proper use is the responsibility of the user. Ingredients: Salt, Sodium Nitrite, Dextrose, Propylene Glycol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

I think you are confusing Ethylene with Propylene glycol.. Propylene Glycol is an approved food additive...

"I think you are confusing Ethylene with Propylene glycol.. Propylene Glycol is an approved food additive..."

Mea culpa, you're right. I was relying on memory as I didn't have the data right here. I should know better.

Reactions: DanMcG
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky