"... limit your salt intake..."

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
How many times have you heard this from articles, advice columns, your doctor or for doctor's advice for relatives or friends?  Pretty common, right?  Well, how many of us actually take this advice?

I didn't after my first stroke, not to the extent that I should have.  Come the second stroke my wife tossed out all the salt shakers in the house.  For the last month I've been void of added salt.

Last week I thought I was having another attack of something; I'd started eating dinner and was suddenly overcome with the biggest urge to retch.  My skin got all clammy, I broke out into a sweat, I could not swallow for the life of me with a full mouth of food.  What it was, was a mouthful of Uncle Ben's Wild rice.  The salt content was so overpowering I thought I would vomit.  I checked the package; almost 700 grams of sodium.  Other rice dishes were the same or more!

I realized that I'd broken a new threshold - I'd reduced my salt intake to a much lower level, causing me to now become salt intolerant!  Just like a cigarette smoker who elevates himself to becoming a non-smoker and can now smell how awful the cigarette smoke really is, I can now discern what a high salt level is.  I had some of my own buckboard bacon just now and was shocked how high the salt level was!  I know, just like the lo-salt turkey I made for my son's birthday, I will be modifying my formulas, probably to ¼ of the salt level from previous mixtures!  

But, it is only relevant if you take away the salt shaker first and become accustomed to a much lower sodium level; then your intolerance to excessive salt will emerge. And, you'll find you won't be eating as much prepared foods too, as you won't be able to handle the excessive salt.  So you accomplish two things - lo-salt and more fresh vegetables/foods vs. prepared, healthier diet and losing weight too!

We can enjoy our hobby and do the healthy thing too.  I'm going to re-do several recipes and processes to work to that end once I get back to work so I can afford to do so - my health won't let me not to!

Last edited:
Good for you Pops, I have started to limit my salt use due to seeing how much is already in food to start with. I have replaced my salt shaker with several pepper grinders with different chili peppers in them to add a bit o flavor to certain bland dishes. Especially eggs i always hadf to have salt on them now I have them with Curry powder or tepin pepper. looking forward to seeing some of your new versions of recipe's.

Pops, good to know you're doing ok and looking out for your health. I know exactly what you're talking about, I can't handle the taste of processed meats, chips, and a lot of other foods because now it just taste too salty. Thanks for sharing the good information for those who can use a little help. It's all good my friend.

What Pops is saying is to stay FAR, FAR AWAY from my country ham!!!

Seriously though, Pops, thank you for this, and I hope that you're doing well.  We all appreciate your input more than you know.

Glad you AND Rich are doing well - We would not know what to do without either of you around here !!

Did the same years ago.

Food does not have to have added salt to taste great.

When I quit smoking I could taste better and realized my salt intake was way high. I started using more herbs and spices instead and my food actually tasted better than ever. I still like the taste of salt but cigarettes I can't stand.

I have been working on cutting down the amount of salt I use in everything, I was never a sweets person, but salt was my crave. Now I taste it and stop seasoning when I still think it could use just a little more... lol.

We have not had salt on the table for years, With the salt in the food or what we add to it has been enough. All of what Pops said is very true

Aloha Pops, 

I look forward to your revised recipes.  As much as I enjoy Smoking, I also need to watch my salt intake.  I am especially interested in using different herbs and spices to enhance the flavors of the product.  Take Care

I'll be looking forward to your revised recipes Pops. I too am very sensitive to salt and have attempted low salt sausage only to find the meat won't develop the myosin need to bind it. I gave up after a few tries, but I might just give it  another attempt this fall.

I was near your old stompin grounds  this past weekend visiting my son in  Potsdam... no snow yet, but the leaves have turn already.
icon_frown.gif

Glad to hear you're doing well.

Dan

I have never been a big salt user, I don't add salt to anything and I even tried to make home made bread without salt in the bread machine but that just doesnt work
biggrin.gif

the only place I am using salt is in smoking food, but I don't see a way to reduce the salt in cured meats or is there?

Steve

The best way to understand salt is to throw out any of that iodized Morton super refined stuff you have. If you eat your vegetables you have no need for supplemental iodine. Highly refined salt is devoid of minerals (and taste), which prompts you to use more. It is bad for you in the way that refined sugar is. Get some good quality sea salt or better still, some mined salt. Try the different salts from different places. Right now I have Himalayan Pink, Brittany Gray, Pacific Sea, Hawaiian Coral, and Alder smoked. I actually use very little anymore. All of the different types compliment different foods in different ways, but the trick is to use it to make the food flavors pop instead of making the dishes salty. If you taste the salt there is too much in there.

Well said, Athabaskar. I was at a salt tasting event, which I guess is becoming the next Tupperware party and found out there is so much more to salt than salt. Many different kinds of salts for many different kinds of foods and/or flavors.

Great post Pops. Our youngest son is almost 2 now and allergic to a lot of stuff including milk and cheese. It's amazing how much prepared food ,especially rice a noodle dishes from a box, contain lactid acids and milk proteins (not to mention way too much salt). We make everything fresh now. I'm sick today, home from work and had a can of soup for lunch..... yuck!!! We really don't miss it at all. The wife and I are in better shape than we've been since high school and our boys eat healthy as can be. It has been a shame for my youngest who may never have some things that kids should be able to have from time to time. But we are all better off for it.

Good on ya, Pops. Way to realize how well your body talks to you!!  I am totally impresses. As an ex-smoker, I know EXACTLY what you meant by that! I really can't believe the difference.

(but if you need a place to get rid of all that buckboard of yours, I would GLADLY take it off your hands, just to keep you safe, you understand...)

Cheers!

-Princess

I would have never thought I would be into "finishing" salts like I am! I have so many and the whole point in using them is you are using a higher quality product and you use less than if you had a shaker and just went to town, plus the actual flavor of salt is more appreciated and it becomes part of the flavor profile of the whole dish. I have a friend that pours on the salt even before tasting his food. That is scary to me. I have high blood pressure so I don't want too much either.

Glad you are doing well Pops and Rich! You two are awesome folks! Cyber hugs to ya!

Salt Question???

Is "Sea Salt" better for you than regular "Table Salt"?

If so why?

Todd

Table salt is usually what they call Iodized salt, meaning it has a lot of iodine in it. Sea salt is generally just salt. Most of us use either sea salt or Kosher Salt for rubs, marinades, ect. The Kosher salt also does not have all the extra iodine in it, but since it is more of a salt flake it melts better when cooking.

By weight, sea salt is NaCl and NaCl is table salt. Flakes are shaped different and hit the tongue different than pyramid shapes (see that annoying Alton Brown ad) or cubes, so Squirrel's comment on finishing salts is also bang on perfect.

BUT ... NEVER USE IODIZED SALT to make cured sausage. Use purified, if you have it.

Salt Question???

Is "Sea Salt" better for you than regular "Table Salt"?

If so why?

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky