Life Somewhat Returning To Normal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Well some good new alas, and hopefully I'm not the only one who is in this position. Unless the power was cut at some point in the night while I was asleep, we've not had an electrical outage since late afternoon yesterday. Water came back on in the middle of the night but went back off for some reason. We were still a bit concerned this morning but it slowly came back up to full volume. YAY!! Water heater is still working fine, which is a blessing, possibly due to it being a propane unit versus electric. With electric water heaters if they run dry and are turned on, it will burn out the heating element. Reading some of the news blurbs I don't think we are totally in the clear but for now at least things are looking up, and I got to take a shower earlier. i'll tell y'all this, never again will I take a hot shower for granted!! It felt wonderful :emoji_laughing: The water was not as hot as it should be but that's because the heater is still trying to catch up with the cold water that was introduced into the tank when the water came back on. No problem there. I just unplugged the circulating pump to give the heater a chance to catch up. Not taking any chances on losing water again, Tracy has laundry going and the dishwasher is running. We'll at least have some clean dishes to eat off of and clean clothes to wear for a couple of days. We are under a mandatory order to boil the water before drinking or making coffee, but that's easy stuff. At least we don't have to melt the white stuff before boiling it...for now anyway :emoji_wink: It's still colder than heck though. Temps in the low 20's with wind chills around zero I'd guess. We had a few minutes yesterday that things started to melt but immediately froze back up when the sun set so still iced in with no way out. That should eb changing tomorrow though.

Oh well, hope this does not sound like a gloat and prayers to all that are still going through it. I read yesterday that areas around the state are now running out of water and things are shutting down for them, even in Austin which is only a few miles away. They are just starting what just ended for us...well hopefully ended. Thanks everybody for enduring all of my whine sessions yesterday but life has been a bit weird recently. All of this mess started exactly one week ago with the big ice storm and has just continued to get worse. Lots of great life lessons learned though, I'll say that.

Warm, clean, and happy,
Robert

Last edited:
That's good to hear Robert.

Chris

Robert, Glad to hear ya'll are getting back to a small level of normal. Sounds like you and Tracy have it covered, one step at a time. Be safe and don't be in a hurry to get the outside in order or driving on I35!!. Don't want any unneccessary significant events! 🍻

Looks like what you had is heading our way. That is okay better here then bye the south.we are use to it stay safe all of you.
Richie

Great news Robert! Glad to hear it! Wonder if there will be a run on home generators now

Ryan

I'm wishing you and everyone in Texas the very best. I hope that the cold snap ends very soon for you all. I never take for granted my very mild climate here in So Cal. Take care.

G

Life can be scary when things go wrong especially the things we take for granted. Glad to see your are on a rebound for somethings.

We are having ice storm again today.

Warren

I'm happy for you kids Robert! Now all it need to do is warm up some, that's coming soon. RAY

That's good to hear Robert.

Thanks Chris. Was good to see the water running, and be able to do so while it was still dark outside. Ie: the lights inside were working :emoji_wink:

Be safe and don't be in a hurry to get the outside in order or driving on I35!!

Outside will be a while. It's going to take a long time for all the mud to dry up. As far as I 35 goes, I hardly drive that road in the best of conditions it's so bad. Right now, I'd have to be in an armored battle tank to even consider it :emoji_laughing:

Soon as the hot water kicked back on

You aren't just kidding my friend!! I could have stayed in the shower for 2 hours and loved every minute of it.

Robert

Good to hear Robert. I'm sure tracy is qlad you showered lol. We got hit pretty hard but now power loss and no missed showers

Looks like what you had is heading our way.

I don't envy you but at least the authorities in your area are hopefully better prepared to deal with it than we were.

Wonder if there will be a run on home generators now

My guess is that there are none for their tobe a run on and it may be a long time before they are re-stocked at the stores.

I'm wishing you and everyone in Texas the very best.

Thank you!! We may almost be out of the woods but the journey is just beginning for a lot of people. They are gonna need some help I'd imagine. Folks in the city are of the mindset that it only happens to us poor folks out in the country. Then their world falls apart and they are at a total loss.

Robert

We are having ice storm again today.

The support is appreciated Warren. They just updated the forecast here. Looks like more snow and ice starting pretty soon and going into the evening. Oh joy...they also dropped the high temp for the day. Was supposed to be 37, which would melt some of this stuff. Now down to 32 so with no sun shining that means nothing is gonna melt.

Now all it need to do is warm up some, that's coming soon.

Yep it's crazy my friend. Four days before the ice storm hit last Thursday we were having dinner on the patio and al I was wearing was swimming trunks. As of now they are saying temps well into the 70's next week. Go figure...

Good to hear Robert. I'm sure tracy is qlad you showered lol.

I'd imagine she was :emoji_wink: I did heat up some melted snow yesterday morning and took a sponge bath. honestly, that in itself made a big difference. At least I haven't been out in the yard working and sweating up a storm with no way to shower. Now that would have been really bad!!

Robert

If water loss is possible again, suggest filling containers/bath tub. It least you could flush when necessary.

Already done. We also have several large buckets of melted snow from yesterday that can be used for flushing toilets.

Robert

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky