Let's Tri-Tip this again.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
I tried to post this last night, but my computer kept freezing up. Maybe it was a sign of things to come.

On to the thread.
While browsing the local grocers' weekly flyers yesterday. I noticed one of them had tri-tip steaks advertised. So, I said to myself - self you need to go check this out. Low and behold they weren't kidding they did have tri-tips for sale. However, when I got there they only had tri-tip strips on display. So I mosey on over to the butcher and ask him if they had any full steaks or roasts in the back cooler. He said "Yup" and asked if I'd come back in about 10 minutes. So I finished gathering up the items on my list and returned to the butchers area. There sitting on the top of the counter was a beautiful tri-tip with my name written all over it, and for only 6.99/lb.

Here she be all seasoned up with pepper and salt:
DSC02962.JPG

Next I fire up the beer pole and the 22" kettle with the Vortex:

DSC02964.JPG

Toss on a couple of spuds. One sweet for the wife, and one russet for the cook.
DSC02967.JPG

On goes the tri-tip over a mixture of lump and KBB:

DSC02969.JPG

and she's done:
DSC02975.JPG

Sliced up,

DSC02980.JPG

...and my plated shot with a slice of blood bread and tator.
DSC02985.JPG

Thanks for taking a look. Oh, and now for a picture of "a sign of things to come" I woke up this morning and guess what I saw -

DSC02987.JPG

We're up to a good 5" now. This picture was taken around 6:30 am.

Nice trim on that TT, looks to ave been really tasty. I have yet to do one hot and fast, usually I smoke till 110 deg and SV to 138 later with a reverse sear at the end.

My son in NH woke up to snow...I am not sure how much he got in Keene where he lives but in Newport, NH where he teaches they were looking at 5"++.

Reactions: gmc2003
Nice looking meal ya had, yep woke up to 7 inches of that white stuff, heavy enough to take trees down and of course knocked out my power. Sure glad I installed generac kicked right on.

It never hurts to ask when you don't like the cuts in the meat case. I like to wet age certain beef cuts and need the pack date on the cases, the meatcutters at Sam's are eager to comply. I also like London broil for my jerky, so I'll ask for a thicker one. Meatcutters can't control these higher prices, but a little service goes a long way.

A fine looking tri Chris! I've been doing them close to the same way, inverted Vortex with a hickory chunk. Been going indirect until the meat hits a IT around 115º, then flop it on over the coals for a minute a side, been working well for me, can't beat that cut of meat. RAY

Beautiful !!
Nice Job, Chris!!
It snowed for 3 hours here this morning, heavy at times.
However it was 38°, and everything was wet from last night's storm, so none of the Snow Stuck. That's fine with me. LOL
I didn't know they ever had Tried Tips up there, either.
Like.

Bear

Great looking TT! I hope you were able to buy more than one at that price.

We got some snow here last night and this morning. Probably about 4” or so. Looks pretty but I’m tired of it. I shouldn’t have put the snowblower away last week.

Great looking TT! And what the heck with the snow! Dang its the middle of April!!!!
Jim
Thanks Jim, I'm sick of the white stuff, but around here it can snow in late April to early May.
Nice trim on that TT, looks to ave been really tasty. I have yet to do one hot and fast, usually I smoke till 110 deg and SV to 138 later with a reverse sear at the end.

My son in NH woke up to snow...I am not sure how much he got in Keene where he lives but in Newport, NH where he teaches they were looking at 5"++.

Thanks Cliff, I've screwed up to many steaks in my day trying the reverse sear method. So I've basically stuck to sear first, and then bring it up to temp. The snow here has tapered off into more of a sleety rain.

Chris

Reactions: JLeonard
Very nice on the TT. The snow is beginning to get old though.
Appreciate it Winter, I agree - I'm over the snow.
Nice looking meal ya had, yep woke up to 7 inches of that white stuff, heavy enough to take trees down and of course knocked out my power. Sure glad I installed generac kicked right on.
Thanks kindly Jim. I'm pretty sure we didn't hit 7". A little over 5", but like you said it's a very heavy wet snow and our power has been flickering on and off for most of the morning. I saw on the news that there are downed trees and power lines across northern VT.

Chris

It never hurts to ask when you don't like the cuts in the meat case. I like to wet age certain beef cuts and need the pack date on the cases, the meatcutters at Sam's are eager to comply. I also like London broil for my jerky, so I'll ask for a thicker one. Meatcutters can't control these higher prices, but a little service goes a long way.
Agree Thirdeye, a butcher can be your best friend at times. 6.99/lb wasn't a bad price for around here. Especially for a boneless cut. I've seen Tbones and Porters going for 15.99/lb earlier in the year.

Looks great Chris . I can almost taste it .
Nice work .
Appreciate it Rich. I think I'm going to head back there this afternoon to see if I can pick up a few more.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
A fine looking tri Chris! I've been doing them close to the same way, inverted Vortex with a hickory chunk. Been going indirect until the meat hits a IT around 115º, then flop it on over the coals for a minute a side, been working well for me, can't beat that cut of meat. RAY
Thank you kindly Ray, I have difficulties with reverse searing so I sear first. My wife would kill me if I came in with a steak done anymore then this one.

Beautiful !!
Nice Job, Chris!!
It snowed for 3 hours here this morning, heavy at times.
However it was 38°, and everything was wet from last night's storm, so none of the Snow Stuck. That's fine with me. LOL
I didn't know they ever had Tried Tips up there, either.
Like.

Bear
Appreciate it John. Our snow has settled down into a sleety rain, lite snow now. So it's starting to melt. Mud season just got a little worse though.

Chris

We got some snow here last night and this morning. Probably about 4” or so. Looks pretty but I’m tired of it. I shouldn’t have put the snowblower away last week.
Thanks Xray. I didn't buy anymore yesterday. I wasn't thinking to clearly when I saw them. I think I'm going to head out this afternoon to see if I can pick up a couple more. My blower is put away also, so I'll just let this melt away.

Chris

Yeah Ray, my house in Pike county PA got similar...not enough for the plow to come and my cameras already show the driveway is clearing.

Reactions: xray
That's a good looking tri tip! Mother Nature sure is a joy lately isn't she!

Ryan

Great job on the tri tip. You reminded me it's been far too long since I've had one. That's some crazy weather though.
Appreciate it Ringer, It's a rarity around here to find them in the stores.
That's a good looking tri tip! Mother Nature sure is a joy lately isn't she!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, I'm not sure who pi$$ed off Mother Nature, but I wish they'd stop doing it. Thanks for the kind words.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky