Let's talk size

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dragonslayer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Thinking about a propane tank offset smoker. I am looking for the approximate number of briskets I could fit on a 250 gal./500 gal./1000 gal.?
Anyone have a good feel for this?

A lot / A lot more / A whole lot more

The 250 gal is supposedly the same size as the Lang 84. According to Lang's website:
Lang said:
The 84" models provide a lot of cooking capacity. It is considered to be a large model and is the most popular model of the Lang lineup. Need to cook 83 ½ chickens? 40- 8lb Boston Butts? 35 slabs of baby back ribs? Or 25 to 30 slabs of regular ribs?
I know that doesn't give you briskets, but maybe it'll point you in the right direction.

A lot / A lot more / A whole lot more

The 250 gal is supposedly the same size as the Lang 84. According to Lang's website:

I know that doesn't give you briskets, but maybe it'll point you in the right direction.
I did a little googling based on some back of the napkin math that sounds like ti would fit about 6 large briskets maybe 8 if they are on the small side.

I did a little googling based on some back of the napkin math that sounds like ti would fit about 6 large briskets maybe 8 if they are on the small side.
Just based on eyeballing, I would think 40 butts is quite a bit more than 6-8 briskets.

2 baby back ribs laid side by side could come close to an average brisket size in surface area (not volume). If you agree with that, then you're looking at 15-17 briskets.

F5129C85-1092-43E0-A825-08C84E87FD60.jpeg
I have a 330 gallon smoker and have fit 23 pork butts and could have gotten up to 30.
Briskets I’ve had 6 on at once and I would guess I could easily fit 20 briskets on there.
You do have to account for a good bit of temp difference on the firebox side so either you lose some area or you move briskets around a bit.
I do have 2 levels of racks for a total of 4 racks.

This is before my smoker was painted. Looks better than that now but it’s the best pic I have to show you the racks.

I have a Lang 84 it will hold approximately 35 to 40, 8.5lb butts.
It just depends on how crowded you want to make it.
Never filled it with brisket.

I have a Lang 84 it will hold approximately 35 to 40, 8.5lb butts.
It just depends on how crowded you want to make it.
Never filled it with brisket.

Man if you fill that thing up with briskets you better call out the armed guard with the bucks you will have invested in that cook. :emoji_laughing:

Warren

Man if you fill that thing up with briskets you better call out the armed guard with the bucks you will have invested in that cook. :emoji_laughing:

Warren
It's costs a lot of money to fill that thing. Brisket is only 2-3 packers at a time. It's all I can afford.:emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky